1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 ford f250 SD fuse problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by akajeremyk98, Jan 19, 2012.

1. akajeremyk98

akajeremyk98 Junior Member
    from Indiana

I have a rotating yellow light and when i plug it into the cigerette lighter it works for awhile then blows the fuse to the power point or the plug gets really hot and stops working other then direct wiring it to a switch how can i use my light and still keep it as a plug in?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

sounds likr its your light,,,might be close to the end of its life,,,,if its blowning the fuse after awhile,,its getting hot b/c the motor is going out....get a new one and you should be fine
  3. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

check the amp rating on the fuse . raise it. OR
    hard wire to battery w/ switch
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

why would you hard wire it or raise the fuse amps????? the plug it getting hot,,,thats a sign that something is wrong....raising the amp of the fuse will cause more problems!!!!!
    replace the strobe
  5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Power plugs are notorious for for having problems. They do not make good electrical contact especial if you are using them on an older vehicle. They have a tendency to corrode and have a high resistance contact which will create your problem. We all use them but usually for low amperage devices. If your light is old it also can create a hight resistance problem if the gears in the unit are worn and do not move freely.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Some of the rotating lights have a plastic bushing they ride on. It starts to bind and pull too many amps and it pops the fuse. You can lube it to make it go longer. If it's old it may be done / worn out. Buy a Strobe or LED light. Much lower amp draw too. My Ecco strobe is a double fire 100K output.You will see it. Cost's $100 now.