1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Ford F250 Problems/warnings?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by neucaptain, Aug 10, 2007.

1. neucaptain

neucaptain Junior Member
    from NH

Does anyone have any problems or bad history with a 1999 Ford F250 Superduty extended cab V-10 6.4L 4X4? I'm looking at buying one and didn't know if there was anything to be concerned with.... (i.e. Transmissions in Dodge trucks)....
  2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I have that exact truck, with the exception of mine is diesel. As far as any problems with mine, none so far. Keep watch on the front end parts, and keep narrower tires on it. Other than that, Good luck
  3. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

THe v10 is a 6.8 liter, a couple of things they are knownf or are the exhaust manifold studs breaking off from the heat causing the manifold to expand and contract so much thats a real problem with them and the other thing I have heard of and never seen is they say the blow the spark plugs out of the top of the head. Ford did not put enough threads in there and they work themselves out then strip out when they are changed and then blow the plugs back out. Ive had two of them with no sparkplug trouble and had both to 100000 miles. But I did do the manifolds on both of them, Aaron
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The tranny's are not the strongest but work well to plow snow. I had a 99 and never had a problem. The spark plug blowing out is a very very minimal amount of trucks that it happens to. Check out www.ford-trucks.com for alot mors info on Ford trucks.
  5. Jto89

Jto89 Member

this happened to me going to my parents camp in Maine. Pulling a trailer on the highway i put my foot in it going up a hill and i heard a load pop and what sounded like a 2 stroke engine. so i pull of to the side of the road and look and the the number 6 cylinder blew the spark plug out. so i had to find a garage that would do it and had to wait a day or two but they got me fixed up and it is running great.
  6. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i have and 99 was well but mine as well is a PSD , just look for the common stuff rust in wheel wells how she drives how it first fires up . i like to smell the tranny fluid for any burned or sweet smell . and tip is too once she start up thorw it down into drive and reverse ( with you foot on the brake ) there should be no delay . it will give you an good idea of condintion of the trans if don't have any records
  7. neucaptain

neucaptain Junior Member
    from NH

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!!!
  8. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

not a problem man , thats why we are here !
    lets us know what happens