1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 F350 Worth it?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mklawnman, Sep 22, 2009.

1. I had someone ask me today if I would be interested in a 1999 or 2000 F350 Diesel Dually dumper 4x4. He thinks its a 99, has the new body style on it, only has 45,000miles on it. He just uses it for just some odd end things, he is an elderly guy who just loves having a dump truck so he has done some light pulling with it and has hauled some soil in it, he used to plow some driveways with it as well and has a 9' Western unimount on it. He has been the only one driving it and I know him very well and have done some landscaping work for him in the past and I know he takes care of things.
    Truck is in great shape 10' dump body, just some frame rust on it, nothing on the cab. I currently have a 99 GMC 3500 HD 2wheel drive with the 454 in it and I think the motor has seen its better days with all the pulling that has been done on it, has 125000miles on it.
    Id like to get rid of that and get this one, bluebook says 15K or so for the Ford. I've wanted a diesel dump truck for awhile now its just they arent cheap and to find a used one in good shape either.
    I know balljoints are something that will have to get fixed as well as hubs in the future.
    He also has had the oil pan replaced due to the rust issue by Ford.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Whats he want for it?
    BB doesn't mean much these days.
  3. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

sounds like the perfect previous owner to me. make him an offer see what he says
  4. He hasnt said how much he wants for it, Id trade him trucks, ha, but Id be getting the better end of that deal.
  5. Well the guy wants to sell me the truck, he will be replacing the front ball joints. He is also going to be getting it appraised but I am thinking with what I know I would maybe ask 12K? I know the bluebook but its not accurate.
    I guess I will wait and see what he gets for appraisel and go from there, one thing he said is that he wants me to do his driveway and his neighbors driveway in this deal.
  6. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Sounds like more than Id pay..But the milage and owner sound good. Id offer 9 or 10 max
  7. Wow that low?? Unless the market isnt there? I mean he has it chromed out in the grill and a visor on the windshield, Alloy wheels, but IM guessing that stuff really doesnt add much to the value.
  8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I would do whatever you can to get into this truck. The thing you have to ask yourself is how much is the fact that you know you're not getting a beat up pos worth to you? To me; it would be worth its weight in gold lol. Sure you can get a deal off of someone else who had employees drive it like they stole it, but youre gonna end up putting the extra $ you saved back into repairs and misc stuff. Unless he comes back with a rediculous offer, I would buy the truck as long as you are not over extending yourself.
  9. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Ball joints and hubs are easy to do the oil pan is a blessing that its been done. Id go for it Id say 13.5K
  10. Yeah 13K wouldnt be too bad of price. So I will see what he will offer. He goes to my church so I talked with him yesturday and he said he just doesnt need it anymore. I figure lets see what and where he got his appraisel done and go from there. I noticed KBB is a bit higher than edmunds.com.
    He will get ball joints done so I think he may put the cost of that in obviously but hubs are fine for now and I can get those done sometime.
    I will then have to try to sell my 1999 GMC 3500HD.
  11. 02powerstroke

you just don't see 7.3Ls with under 50K on them anymore...
  12. That is why Im interested in this truck. I will get a pic loaded up soon. It is a XLT package with the nice aluminum rims. I already know what would need to be maintain since I have a 02 F250.
    Off to bed, snow on the way.
  13. Well this is the truck I will be purchasing after he gets the balljoints fixed and appraised.

14. 02powerstroke

dude that things mint. Id be all over that like a fat kid on a corn dog.
  15. Ha yeah, just surface rust on the frame, it sits in a garage when he doesnt plow. Otherwise during the summer he doesnt do much with it. I can see hubs needing replacing soon and I would get a bigger transmission cooler for it as well with the history of my F250 tranny going.
  16. 02powerstroke

6.0 trans cooler and a BTS valve body will do wonders
  17. Whats that BTS valve body? What would it do? I put a big cooler on my 02 F250 and it is about as big as the 6.0L one.
  18. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Ok Id pay more for that..Its way better than I visioned its a sweet truck.
  19. Ha yeah you would pay more but its a matter of what it is worth ya know, I know he will give me a deal and I will have work in plowing his driveway and the neighbors in the deal so who knows.
  20. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

BTS (Brians Truck Shop) is THE transmission you want in your truck, virtually bullet proof, and he will warranty them for life for the most part, provided you pay the shipping after the actual 2 year warranty.

As for the BTS Valve Body, just buy a TransGo Tugger shift kit, and you have it. From what Ive read he had a lot of input in the design of it.

Thats a beautiful truck that youre scoring btw