1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 F250 7.3l OHV 16V Turbo

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by fordmstng66, Oct 31, 2007.

1. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I am going to look at this truck tonight. I did a search, but did not find out much except the oil pans rust out. It has 116,000 miles on it. What else should i be looking for. I have never looked at a Diesel before. Any help would be appreciated.

2. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

Front wheel bearings are a good thing to check as well. some trucks have big problems with wheel bearings and some don't. just hit or miss
  3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

ck the lock out hubs if there moving freely . also does it have either manual 4x4 lever or elec. some of elec are know to freeze up from lack of use . if can get any service record great . one of biggest things esp on PSD is coolant make sure its been flush'd changed . psd are known for calvation problems . if you have an auto trans ck the fuild level and smell it for either a brunt or sweet smell . also ck how the trans shifts . while you have it parked . shift thur all gears there should be no delay at all . ball joints are very common problem on superduty trucks . if i can think of anymore i'll tell ya . i'd also get an oasis report before you do any transaction of cash IMO . hope it helps
  4. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

have the ball joints checked as the stock ones are ungreaseable and will fail.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

def check the pan, its like 1,500-2k dollar job depending on where you go to have it fixed, you have to basically pull the motor to change it.
  6. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

thank you for the replies. I looked at it tonight, and it had a huge lift, and it was leaking oil, but did not look like it was coming from the pan, almost looked like it was coming from the rear main. For a 99 was in good shape, but i could tell rust had been fixed on the doors already. Looks like i will keep looking. Thanks for the pointers i will keep them in mind i can find another Diesel.
  7. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

99.9% of the time on PSD esp 7.3's the rear mains don't leak . the oil leak comes from the HPOP fittings . there a lil o-ring back there that drys out or gets hard as a rock and cause a leak . CAC tubes are another common leak area that can fixed by retrighten them . turbo peds. o rings another common leak area as well as ebv if have one on the turbo housing