1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 F150 XLT 5.4L V8 Plow Options/Tire Recommendations

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SliceWire, Aug 22, 2011.

1. SliceWire

SliceWire Junior Member

Hey Guys,

So reciently I picked up a 1999 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 5.4L V8. Its a great truck, I've really fallen in love with it. But the big reason why I picked it up is I need to make some money with it this winter by plowing. I'll be working under a small contracting group in the Northern Chicago Suburbs, and will be working primarily with residential driveways and a few commercial contracts. I was looking at what my options are for a plow, but haven't come up with too much, and am worried about weight restrictions. This will be my fourth year in the snow removal business and the first year I will have my own vehicle to plow with. Any reccomendations/tips on what would be a good plow for a truck like mine?

Also, It has some beefy tires on it, (Tire Rack Link Here ) I've heard bad things about plowing with mud-type tires and that I should hit the junk yard and pick up a set of thinner wheels for plowing in the winter. Sounds bogus to me but I honestly have never had a car with such fat tires on it.I'm going to have to put a new set of tires on before snow season, so which/what do you guys recommend? Fat or Skinny?

Also Looking for a good place to find some cheap amber strobes. Any tips/imput on anything to get me started would be awesome!

Thanks guys,

2. Nismothunder

Nismothunder Junior Member

1. A heavy duty tranny cooler is a must when plowing with an auto

2. You have the 34 spline 9.75 rear end, most likly with an LSD unit in it, Plenty strong for plowing.

3. Bfg A/t's are decent in snow, if they have good thread I would run them.

4.I would only run a straight edge on this truck, no V plow.

5. If you are replacing tires, I would stick with the stock size, or maybe down grade too a 235-70-16 for more power, But then you may find that its harder too find traction.

6. If you can run studded tires run them.

7. Use low range and 4 high.

8. Dont plow with OD on