1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 F-350 Payload

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by devinraptor, Mar 2, 2010.

1. devinraptor

devinraptor Junior Member

I have a 1999 F-350 with the 5.4 it also has a dump bed and it is a dually. Does anyone know what the payload for this truck is? I assume around 3 tons but I don't want to kill it. Thanks.

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The dump body is the real variable. Unless you know its weight. Best bet if you are concerned about legality is to weigh the truck with a full tank of fuel and you in it. Then subtract that weight from the GVWR on the sticker on the driver's door pillar. This will tell you what you can carry.

Three ton won't kill that truck though. The frame and such is the same as a F550 its the springs, axles, wheels/tires that are different.

3. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

I would guess anywhere around 1 1/2 to 2 tons.i would guess the Truck to weigh around the 8000 to 8500 lbs depending on the dump box.

4. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

GVWR is probably 12500. Find a scale and weigh the truck empty with a full tank of fuel and your normal stuff. This will tell you your legal load capacity. I am sure it will handle 3-4 ton even if you are over the 12500 mark.

5. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

My 99 with a 7.3 weighs in at 10400 which leaves me 2100lbs payload. You are probably a little lighter empty depending on your dump body weight..It will however carry much more if you want to chance the ticket, I have gone off the scales just over 20K and drove pretty good little assy but tolerable.

6. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

I agree with Tbrothers 1 1/2 to 2 tons. Sure you can load in 3 tons but your overloading the tires and axles.Hit a pothole with that weight and you will blow a tire or break a leaf spring.

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I don't think you will break a spring or blow a tire with 3 ton. Mine will hold over three ton fine but as said you are way over legal weight. If trucks started to break at GVWR there would be a lot of broen trucks out there.

8. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

350 frame is not the same as a 550. The 550 is considerably heavier.