1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Expedition

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by seville009, Sep 9, 2002.

1. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Does anyone plow with a Ford Expedition? While Ford doesn't recommend using them for plowing, mine does appear to have the ability (GWVR of 3450 on the front, trailer towing package).

I've done alot of searching on this for the past year or so and it seems that the truck could handle the Snoway perfectly fine.

I looked at the Snoways at a dealer; he said that Ford says that the load on the front can't be more than 500 lbs or the warranty will be void. Dealer said that the Snoway is less than 500lbs and that is why they can be used on them.

I know alot of you use Snoways on heavier duty trucks than the F150/Expedition. I'm just curious if anyone out there is actually using one on an Expedition.

Primary use would be on a 600' driveway with a 2,000 sf turnaround. Use a compact tractor with a five foot snowblower and back blade right now, but it's slow and mightly cold and being able to do it in a warm truck is mightly appealing. Just having a hard time deciding without knowing anyone's "real life experience".

I don't question the Snoway; just wondering about the truck part.

heres my .02 cents. if your just using it for your own private use go for it but id be looking for a quick hitch system for easy removal (not sure what snow way has available there) if your looking to go commercial id consider a different truck, im using an f150 7700 series front axle rated at 3800# it handles a 7' 6" boss just fine, honestly wish id have went atleast 8' but i was intimidated because of horror stories. it squats less than an inch when its raised..
    good luck!!!
    :waving: Rich
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i dont think i can recall ever seeing a plow on an expedition. there has to be a reason why id think.
  4. dbtoe

dbtoe Junior Member

Western also doesn't recommend a plow for a 1999 expedition. They do make them for 2000 and newer expeditions, could the frames be different? Snoway could be different however.
  5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Thanks for the replies.

While it would be nice to purchase a whole new truck that is definitely capable of handling a plow, my situation is basically trying to use the truck I have, if possible. I already had the truck when I moved to the new house a few years ago and then had to deal with the large snow clearing issue. I would have put a plow on the Expedition at that time had there been no question it could handle it. Since I had not heard of Snoway at that time, I ended up buying a CUT with a blower on it. I justified the cost because, around here, it would have cost about $80 per push. In a normal winter, there could easily be ten events, so I figure that the blower would pay for itself over three or four years.

There's only one Expedition that I've ever seen that had a plow on it, and it wasn't a "real" plow. It appeared to be a plow from a garden tractor or something - was about four feet wide and just barely covered the buy's grill. Was kind of funny looking; doubt that it was very effective.

I had called the local Fisher dealer last year regarding this issue, and they told me that they don't install plows on Expeditions.

Since I see plows on Rangers, S10's, Jeeps, Tahoes, etc., I assume that the Expedition can handle a plow, if not used hard. That, plus that fact that Snoway explicitly states that their plows can be used on the Expedition, tells me that I could put one on. However, having never seen one in use on an Expedition and not knowing anyone's first hand experience makes me a little hesitant about doing so, since, in the end, I'm the one that would have to deal with whatever goes wrong.

Thanks again for the replies.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2002
  6. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

It can be done. I put a western on our 2002 expedition,used a western mount for a f250 light duty truck. had to drill 1 hole and add a piece of steel to extend a flange on one side. plow is a 7 1/2' I had the plow as a spare and figured what the hell. I have 10 other plow trucks and wil only be using the expedition as a supervisory vehicle but if I go to a lot that needs to be cleaned up or a quick go through. It doesn't void the warranty just makes the dealer a little pissy. But for me it doesn't bother me much cause in another 2 years the lease will be up and i'll return the truck (less the plow frame & plow)
  7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Thanks...that's good to know. Have you actually plowed with it yet and, if so, did it handle the work okay? I know you said its a 2002, but wasn't sure if maybe you got it at the end of 2001 and had it during last winter.

I'm surprised that your lease would allow you to put a plow on. Just be careful when your lease expires that they don't hit you with charges for abnormal wear and tear. If they do, it's possible that, in the end, it would be cheaper for you to buy out the lease than to pay large charges and not own the truck.

I work for a real estate management company. We own all of our plow trucks (F250's), but most of the company cars are leased, despite my objections. When the guys turn the cars in, most have more mileage on them than the lease allows, and we always end up paying a huge amount in excess mileage fees. Every once and a while, the leasing company will ding us for minor damage charges too.
  8. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

when I leased the truck for an additional $8.00 per month on the lease I have a excess wear and tear (not sure what the actual name of it is) that covers me for up to $2,500.00 worth of damage to the truck. Did this on the salesmans recomenation when he knew the kinda business I was in.