1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel PTO for Snow blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ralphsaptre, Jan 6, 2015.

1. ralphsaptre

ralphsaptre Junior Member
    from none

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel 4x4 Full size with the heavy duty tranny that has the PTO plates on either side of the tranny. I purchased the PTO gear box that bolts up to the tranny and had it set properly for gear lash etc. I want to purchase a PTO snow blower.

Question: For people who have this type of truck and hooked up a PTO shaft for snowblower or truck front farm implement, how big of a snowblower can I reasonably hook up to this set up? I really dont want to go hydraulic with all the tanks valves filters levers pump sizing etc.

The Diesel engine is around 200-300 hp but I have to get the RPM's correct, custom make some sort of 3 pt hitch to fit on the front of the truck with a hydrualic lift, size the shafts and universal joints and custom make them to go under the front end and attach to a fixed plow mount for quick disconnect/connecting etc.

Anybody got any suggestions on a company that sells PTO shafts bearings universals male female ends etc to facilitate this endeavor? I want to deliver as much horsepower from the PTO via 3 shafts including bearings to the front end (fixed snow plow / blower mount as possible at the correct RPM to power the biggest PTO snowblower possible. THis is for Lake Effect snow removal around Lake Ontario so occasionally we get snow measured in feet not inches. Im assuming that the PTO delivers RPM at what the engine turns at and is not gearing up or down? Thanks for your time.

2. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I don't think u can hook up a snowblower to a pot off a tranny on a truck they r for pumps for hydrolics

3. shaffecv

shaffecv Junior Member

Most trucks I've operated over the years, (wreckers, dumps and my current service truck with crane).
    You could only operate the PTO with the truck stationary. Operator manuals state that the trans will be damaged by driving and shifting with the PTO engaged.
    That's why most municipal and state highway trucks have either engine shaft driven or belt driven PTO's

4. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

If you're looking to retrofit a tractor 3-point blower, you're going to be spinning that shaft in the 540 rpm range. Some gear is setup for 1000rpm, but most blowers, brush hogs, mowers are setup for lower RPMs.

As everyone stated, typically these units are hydro driven. In the phone company we had a few new super duties and some Telsta's that had no problems using the pto alongside the normal drivetrain. With the older trucks it was fun, you'd clutch in and the bucket would lose hydraulics, could bounce someone off a pole for fun.

I'd think hydro drive with a relief/bypass built in would be the safe thing. I imagine adapters like the muncie hydro drive unit have an internal bypass.

Since it sounds like you're going with shaft drive, I'd recommend using a slip clutch mounted on your pto shaft, hopefully it will prevent you from shattering your entire driveline the first time you hit something.

5. ralphsaptre

from none

Thanks for the slip clutch idea will incorporate that into the PTO shaft.

Yeah that makes sense didnt think of hitting something and you know its going to happen a rock or something buried in the snow. Ok will definately get a slip clutch for my shaft project.

6. ralphsaptre

from none

the tranny is a heavy duty type specifically designed for snowplowing...ie I ordered it from DEtroit that way back in 1999 as well as the front end and the block warmer. I believe I paid several thousand extra for that tranny to accomodate the PTO and shock loading from plowing.

7. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

PTO for plowing generally is running a hydro pump for plow rams, Not driving a shaft driven snowblower.

Ford 6R140 with the FR66 Could handle ~120 ftlbs.

The PTO may be spec'd for that type of power, I'd just be concerned about the shock load should something go wrong. The only direct drive application I've ever seen is a water pump on our Fire Trucks, and and 40's era winch on a power wagon.

Would be nice if we knew more details on the extra heavy duty type transmission you have there.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

9. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You guys are forgetting the pto only spins when your driving, or in neutral unless you have an Allison 3500rds or higher series or a '11 up ford torqushift with live drive... you'll never be able to drive slow enough and have the blower spin fast enough, this concept is 100% flawed! you need a snovac with a 40hp Kohler on the front and be done with it

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You took all the fun out of it.