1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Chevy Silverado - Alternator

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by N2VSB, Oct 13, 2004.

1. N2VSB

N2VSB Junior Member

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 (1500) , With a 105 amp alternator. I recently installed a dual battery kit. I put Optima yellow tops in place of the original factory battery, and the new battery. It appears that my 105 amp alternator is not happy with this. Every time I connect my second battery up, my voltage on my gauge drops from around 14 to around 12 or so, and the lights dim. I started looking around, and noticed that I have a really small wire(fusible link) that appears to be my charging wire. I know that the 105 amp alternator is small for plowing applications on the newer trucks, and I am looking to upgrade that anyway. (I need a link to Leece-Neville) I guess my real question is why is the fusible link there(short circuit protection obviously) and not a regular battery type wire, Does It really need to be that small, and what are the pros/cons of upgrading it to a larger charge wire that is not a fusible link? Or to a larger fusible link, and where might I find such a thing? Sorry for the Questions, Just trying to get it all set up before the snow starts to fly. Thanks in advance!

Todd

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Make sure both batteries are fully charged prior to hooking them up. What type of "kit" did you install?? Are the batteries in parallel? Is there an isolator??
    Changing the size of the fusible link will not increase your charging capacity but can cause a fire hazard if you get a short...

3. N2VSB

N2VSB Junior Member

The Kit was from Wrangler NW - Great equipment by the way, and a very complete kit at that. It came with a battery tray, all necessary cables, an isolation relay, and a battery manager switch to control the isolation relay from inside the cab. Both batteries are fully charged, and brand new. I even put a battery charger on them to make sure. As for the fusible link, I always was told that larger wires carry more current and therefore would increase my charging capacity. How long have they been using fusible links on the alternator charge wire? My 1986 Cutlass Supreme doesn't appear to have a fusible link for the charge wire, it appears to be a regular wire. Anyway Does anyone have a link to somewhere I could purchase a Leece-Neville alternator for this truck? Thanks again.

Todd

4. N2VSB

N2VSB Junior Member

Anybody??? Leece Neville Alternator?

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Electrical Shop

Try checking with a shop that does automotive electrical work. As in rebuilding etc. They (most times) can upgrade your stock alternator for you.
    One around my area does it for about $1 an amp, they add parts and a new regulator to your alternator. With the big dog (ambulance type) alternators you pay a big price and have mounting issues. With more amps you need a bigger charging wire too. The shop may have a new pig tail for this too.