1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Chevy k3500 4low disengages

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Kcorey, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Kcorey

Kcorey Junior Member

I have a 1999 Chevy k3500 and sometimes when in 4 low it will randomly disengage. If I stop pull shifter up into neutral then put back in 4 low it's fine until it happens again ( sometimes right away sometimes it doesn't disengage). Does this have the electronic actuator on differential? Could it be replaced with a posi lock cable? I do not see my year truck on there website. When in 4 high it is fine it never disengages out of 4 hi unless I manually disengage . Thanks

2. Rusty Silence

Rusty Silence Senior Member

I ran into that problem on a 96 K3500. If I remember right I was told I needed to replace or rebuild the t-case. In my situation it fixed itself, it was popping out of four low when I first got the truck but it quit doing it and it never did it again, even when plowing. The truck had sat for a few years before I bought it so maybe that had something to do with it.
    Just google the problem.

3. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

If it's not the NBS, it should have the same "thermal actuator" that my '98 does.

Call the folks from Posi-Lock to confirm.

When mines goes (they all do eventually), it's the route I'm taking.

As to your issue - If 4WD hi works, it's the not the actuator...

It may be linkage related, as I'm betting lo-range is not used too much annually.

I'd get under the truck and see if it appears to be binding, etc.

Lots of PB Blaster or a similar product may free it up if that's the case.

Good luck!

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm surprised your 98 has the old style actuator as the 97 that I used to have had the electric style....I thought they switched to the electric style around '96.

Hi/Lo 4*4 operations are changed in the T-case only, the front is either in or out...in other words, there is no hi/lo change in the front end. So as long as your 4*4 HI is operating correctly, then the front actuator is not the problem.

5. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

It's either as simple as a linkage issue, or as deep as an internal t-case issue.

Since it pops into and out of 4-lo, I'd check linkage.

My 98's' actuator is electric. It heats a small gas cylinder, and the gas inside expands, locking in the front-end.
    That's why it takes a little longer to "kick-in" when it's colder out...