1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Chevy 4x4 fuel gauge problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Butterman, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Butterman

Butterman Junior Member

I have a 1999 Chevy 4x4 1 ton that the fuel gauge started bouncing back and forth very rapidly, just recently. It will show the correct fuel level, but it bounces back and forth about an 1/8" all of the time. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My truck just started doing the same thing about 2 days ago. The needle is vibrating constantly and when I stop it bounces all over the place. Its almost like it became super sensetive to the fuel level all of a sudden.
  3. blublzr

blublzr Member

99 fuel gauge problem

had this same problem with my 99 silverado 1/2 ton. gas gauge would sometimes read accurately , but most times it was pegged on E . drove the truck for 30,000 miles keeping track of my mileage using the trip odometer . what a pain. finally ended up having the whole fuel pump assembly replaced because the sending unit is part of the fuel pump assembly , located in the fuel tank. they replaced the pump and fuel filter it cost around $900.00 . it fixed the problem !!!

wil :dizzy:
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

With my luck with my previous gas trucks, when it started doing that, my fuel pump was on barrowed time. The same has happend with my friends. Although, I have one buddy with a 01 3/4ton that is now going on about 15,000mi. with the bouncy fuel gauge. A little trick if your fuel pump goes out on you. Wack the bottom of the tank a couple of times. This will usually give you one or two more starts. DON'T shut it off until you get somewhere you can work on it though.
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

auto mechanic here. its the sending unit on its way out. :salute:

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I just got a recall notice in the mail the otherday about this too. The recall said that the gauges might start doing what you described, and if so to bring it to the dealer. But only bring it in if you think your truck may have this problem I guess it is for all the gauges, doesn't matter if it is the tach or the speedo.

7. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

My '99 1/2 ton is doing it:cry: ....
    Mechanicman Ryan, is that recall for all years?? Is it a recall, or just an update??
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The recall was mostly for the '03 and newer trucks and covered the instrument cluster assembly, not the fuel sender assembly. The '03-up truck had a very high failure rate of the gage cluster assemblies so GM put the bulletin out for them.

If you have a pre '03 truck with an erratic fuel gage, 99% of the time it's a defective fuel sender assembly, mainly due to the make up of the newer gasoline. The chemicals they now use in the gas attacks the coating on the sender contacts and can give an erratic/no signal to the fuel gage. Kills fuel pumps too.
  9. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

The level unit is bad. They were known for getting grit on them. The level unit can be replaced separate from the whole fuel module. GM has an additive that is designed to attempt to clean the grit off it to allow the level unit to operate correctly