1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Chevy 3500 vs 1998 S10 Blazer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DBFlawn, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Hey guys I have been registered here for a while now but haven't visited in a long time.

But anyway I would like to get in to the snow removal biz but I have a few questions for you all if you wouldn't mind helping me out.

One is that I will be aiming to get around 12 driveways for first season. These driveways are about 3 car lengths long and 2 cars wide. I have the choice to use either a 1999 Chevy 3500 with a 12 foot flatbed 2wd. Or a 1998 S10 blazer 4x4. Which one would I be better off in? I know the Silverado is 2wd but with enough weight in the back would I be fine (since these driveways are flat) Or would I be better off using the blazer just because its 4wd.

Either way I would be buying a new/used plow for which ever I decide to use so that's not a big deal.

Also what would you guys charge per push for driveways like this? $25-$30? and how much time would you expect to spend on each of these drives?

Thanks to all who help me out. Hope you all had a Great Christmas and Happy New Year!

2. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Also I have completely forgot to mention that I have done quite a bit of searching on my question an have found out that it's about 50-50 for using the 2wd Silverado for driveways. While a lot of people like the blazers for dives but it tears the blazer a part. I was just wondering on which you guys would use in my situation. Buying a 1/2 4x4 wont cut it this year.

Thanks again!

3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

That flatbed will be way to big for just driveway work. I have the same truck. (my avatar pic)
    The blazer is the right size you just need to make sure it is mechanically sound and don't beat on it.
    As far as what to charge, it's different in all area's so you need to speak with someone in your market.

4. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

If those are your only options I would use the blazer. I used a Bravada with a Snoway last year. It worked well, but it was definitely tired by the end of the season.

5. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Yeah I sort of figured that. The reason I asked though is I know that the Silverado wil be around a lot longer than the blazer will and I know that if I put a plow on the Silverado then I could always take that off and mount it on a 3/4 ton 4x4 when I get one. But I couldn't put a 6'6' Snowway on a 3/4 ton.

How does you truck plow in general though. Not ignoring your advise just exploring all options and opinions.

The blazer is in very good shape. Runs very well but has 140,000 miles on it but just got all new brakes, shocks and front end parts.

Thanks for your input

6. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

How did you like the Snow way on it? Also if I am correct don't they come with a down pressure kit for back dragging? What do you mean by "tired"? Was it shifting hard or was the front end just worn out.

Thanks

7. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

It plows great, but it has a 9ft blade on it. I have only been stuck a few times and it was my fault for running up on a pile, if you use your head you won't have any problems as far as driving with 2wd and plowing.
    Do you already have the 3500? if so drive it in a few driveways and try to manuver around with it, then figure your going to add a few feet to the front of it and see if you can still move around. I have a 3 car driveway that is about 3 cars long and with the plow on my truck it is very hard to remove snow, Back drag only... For parking lots and bigger areas it is awsome, but it is a pain to even park it in my driveway, and if there is another car in the drive forget about it.
    Another thought, if you own both of these vehicles already maybe you could trade them or sell them for a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The 2WD wil; suck for driveways.
    The Blazer will work but if your gonna get rid of it for a 3/4 ton then just wait till you get that truck and put a blade on it.
    your pricing sounds about right.
    A little late to start snow removal business this late in the season IMO

9. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Well here's the thing. The 3500 is my dad's. He owns a fence company so all our trucks and equipment sit during the winter months and hes actually the one who brought up the idea of actually using it instead of the blazer. The Blazer is personally mine. So there is really no way for that option.

Now I just went out and measured my drive way and its 19 feet wide by 49 feet long. By taking a quick look at it I feel that I should be able to maneuver the 3500 around with back dragging but nothing is for sure until the trucks in the driveway obviously and I am unsure on where I would pile the snow.

Would I leave the snow at the end of the driveway and back it and push it across the street as long as it okay with their neighbors? Or would I come in on an angle and push it back into their lawn?

10. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Do you feel that will a good amount of ballast that it is do able though?

Also I am not sure when this 3/4 ton truck would come in. I was hoping after about one maybe two years of plowing I would be able to afford one. Then on top of that I would have to buy another plow. That's why I was thinking that maybe I could get by with the 3500 for a season or two and when I do upgrade to the 3/4 ton for me I could just take the plow off that and buy the different mount that I would need.

Also forgot to state that this wouldn't start up till next year anyway.

Thanks for your input

11. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

If it's not til next year then I would save up, sell the blazer, yeah you'll lose on the deal, and buy a 1/2 or 3/4 ton regular cab truck.

A few nice trucks are:
    chevy 2500 w/ 350 or 454 gas auto or stick... ford 250 w/ a 7.3 diesel or 5.8l gas auto or stick... dodge 2500 with 12v cummins and a stick. These are basically all in the 1990 decade, so price should be around 5k, of course it all depends.
    Just to give you an idea what to CL for pricing etc...

Now to answer your main Q, I would go with the blazer.

12. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Well it seems that from the situation that I am in right now I'm better off just sticking with the blazer to use. Do you guys recommend a plow on it that would stand up to about 12 driveways? How do they Snow ways hold up?

Now I will keep my eye out for the right deal on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton but i dont think that would be my best option because i would also need to buy a plow for that unless I got really luck and found one that came with a plow for a great price.

I know it seems that people are favoring the blazer but does anyone else have any inputs on the 3500?

Thanks to all who have responded

13. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

If it won't start til' next year, then why buy the plow now? Wait a little find a good deal on a 3/4 w/ plow in the spring...there should be plenty. Good prices in the spring + current economy = :bluebounc good deal;)

14. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The blazer is well suited for driveways, so if all you are going to do is driveways the Blazer is the only way to go. The 3500 is much better for parking lots, you need lots of room to turn that beast around.

Mike

15. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

Yeah I don't plan on buying a plow till the snows gone. And with the snow that we have gotten here in Chicago so far it just got me thinking. I'm the type of person that likes to have a plan of action so i just thought that i should start exploring my options now and since I had nothing to do today, I thought that I would come on here and see what the professionals had to say about my situation since after all you guys have had way more experience than me since I've had NONE LOL.

16. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I would go with the blazer. I have a jeep cherokee that I added air bags to and frame stiffeners. I plowed 25 driveways 2003-2006 and put a plow back on it last winter as a back up truck. It has 100,000 miles on it and is still a daily driver. If you are anal about the maitenance it will last.

17. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

What kind of plow did you have on your Cherokee? How did you like it for driveways and was back dragging a problem? My Blazer has 140,000 on it the moment and it runs pretty good. Also I'm very good with maintenance too.

18. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

The snoway with down pressure was great. The transmission was fine. I just wore out the front end and the tires. Burned out an alternator. I did way more work with it than I should have, and it never let me down. There was 137k miles on it when I sold it this summer. It was great for driveways. I miss it now on a few spots that my 2500 with a 9 footer on it hardly fits.

19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Your Blazer with a Sno-Way on it would be an excellent driveway rig.
    Used plows in the spring are cheaper too.

20. DBFlawn

DBFlawn Member

I have been looking at the Snow ways a lot because they are lighter and they also have the down pressure kit which would really help me with drive ways. Wearing out the front end and tires dont really bother me all that much because thats a lot cheaper to fix or replace than a motor or tranny.