1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 chevy 2500 454 gas alt

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jgtools, Oct 15, 2014.

1. jgtools

jgtools Member

hi, I bought a used 1999 chevy 2500 with 454 gas engine. the guy I bought it from also had a western unimount plow 7.5 straight blade complete with truck mounts for this 1999 truck. He never did install the plow or mount , and decided to buy a new 2014 ford with a plow already installed. he suggested I upgrade to a high output alternator.. ? and possibly a 2nd battery ? is this common thing to do on a older truck like this? I looked at the alternator on the truck, but see no numbers, looks to be stock to me,,Hate to spend more money if not needed, Thanks

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I have a similar truck...98' 2500 with 454. When the dealer installed my Boss V plow back then, he put in a bigger alternator. Also upon my request a Optima Battery. I run a front and rear plow with one battery just fine. So my advice is do the alternator, and get a new battery.

3. jgtools

jgtools Member

thanks, will do a alternator.

4. rickyp

rickyp Junior Member

i have a 99 k2500 5.7 and i want to get a bigger alternator as well i checked a suppler near buy and i can get an oem delco remmy 220amp that will bolt rite up

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

i would get a bigger battery too, oem is @600 cc, napa has one in the 900-1000 cc, like on the diesel

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

In all honesty, you'll be fine running stock. That being said, a new battery helps a lot. Seems like most guys think they get 3-4 years out of a plow truck battery. New alternator doesn't help.

I personally have dual batteries on all my trucks, but I like being easy on the batteries. I run a stock alternator.

7. rickyp

rickyp Junior Member

i was a little wrong about the size i think its a 150 ore 180 amp the 220 was for the new gm trucks a 1000 amp battery would help to mines a 750 i like Deka battery's

8. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Im running 2 excide 850s top and side terminals and a DR44 alternator 145 amps. So far ive been fine

9. rickyp

rickyp Junior Member

nice truck is that a western ore boss i see it,s red

10. daman

daman Member

Get at least 1000CA batt and a alt over 100AMP and your good to go,i don't have two batts on mine and have no troubles.

11. rickyp

rickyp Junior Member

yea thats all i need rite now when i hit the switch the lights go dim so far nothing up this way yet but for our area nothing usually happens till after the holidays

12. daman

daman Member

You will have some dimming of the lights when you hit the switch that's unavoidable but with a good batt and alt you'll be fine.

Nothing over here yet either a light coating of snow and some ice haven't even hooked the plow up yet.

Gota love these gas prices though will make the season more profitable that's for sure!

13. rickyp

rickyp Junior Member

yea $2.50 a gal for 87 and it,s almost down to $3.00 a gal for diesel up here

14. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

89 was a 1.87 here today, fuel prices are going the right way too bad were experiencing a big lack of snow.

15. JAJA

JAJA Member

Wiring upgrade from alt, and grounds should help with the lights dimming

16. daman

daman Member

yeah the same here its pretty cheap yet, just no snow to make any money.

17. rickyp

rickyp Junior Member

its snowing in elkton tonight i got the truck ready to go just got to weight it out and see if i get the call