1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Chevy 1500 Plow help

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 99zrl, Nov 9, 2009.

1. 99zrl

99zrl Junior Member

Hi my name is Kyle i am new to this site and i recently bought a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 z71. from what we heard the truck has the HD front axle? Well we are looking for a plow for a decent price and are having trouble finding one and one with all the parts. i kind of under stand the difference between the uni and ultra mount? but not 100%.
    Well here are my questions?
    1) What plow is best for my truck
    2) What mounts uni/ultra will fit on my truck
    3) What am i looking at to get a plow installed parts and price?

Any information/recommendations will be GREAT!!!!

This is my truck.
    [​IMG]

Thanks ahead of time,
    Kyle J.

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Best plow is one where a dealer is close by you. You will need parts and or service at some point and the closer the dealer is the better. Except for the home owner plows most companies make a decent plow that works and it is user choice after that.

I like the red ones but am leaning to the white ones the more I see them at work. :dizzy:

If I was looking for a used plow I would go to that near by dealer and ask if they had any trade ins or used ones someone was looking to sell. Then I would have them install it and make sure everything worked correctly. Trust me it is worth a few bucks to have it installed properly by someone that is doing it for a living.

As far as what mounts to your truck always go with the newest model style so if you later decide to upgrade you have a chance of being able to use the same mount if you stick with same brand.

Price. Between $2500 and $5500 it all depends on what ,when, where, how new and how deep the snow is.

3. 99zrl

99zrl Junior Member

Thanks for the info Reaper... not really what i was lookin for?? lol but anything helps right now...Thanks. still need a little help?

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

cheack out the new western hts or just a mid weight. are you going for just your driveway or good size lots. there are alot of plows out there, but we need to know what your going to be doing with it.

5. 99zrl

99zrl Junior Member

well its going to be for everything driveways and lots basically anything/everything!

6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

So basically you plan to use it commercially then? Or just basically on your driveway and ocassionally on a parking lot like you were a backup plower?

I would go with a 7 1/2 or an 8 but probably not any bigger personally.

Reaper did answer some of your questions also. $2500 to $5500 to buy and install a used plow at a dealer or from a private seller with a dealer install.

As for mounting brackets that will fit. Ask Crash or B&B, they can pull numbers from their wahzoo's.

Like Reaper said though, before settling on a western, find out who services/sells what brands near you and what the local guys say about each one. No point in running a western if the only thing near by is a blizzard or snoway..

7. 99zrl

99zrl Junior Member

well i guess kind of a commercial type plow but 7 1/2 should be a good size.
    Reapers info was good,
    what determines if a plow mount will fit my truck?
    what would you guys recommend on a plow and installing a plow your self?
    we also have a western dealer i think about an hour away and a boss dealer pretty close. i think?

just let me know what you guys need to know to help me out :salute:

Thanks again

8. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Basically, most plows will have a frame to fit your truck. Just have to find the right mount.
    If you have a boss dealer close, and western is an hour away, I would go with Boss. If you break something during a storm, you dont really want to have 2 hours in travel time to get a part.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can do your own install. If not, pay someone, makes life easier. Depending on which plow you get, the install time varies as with complexity.

9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

Look for a Meyer MDII or MD plus with a ST 7.5' blade, it by far is the most universal and parts are plentiful. If you find the plow and it came off of a different make or model truck the bracket kits are under $400 new and typically can be had for less than $300 used on e-bay. the wiring is all the same just the headlamp plugs are different and for under $60 you can get brand new ones.

This is waht a Meyer MD plow with a ST 7.5 blade , wiring and frame mounts would look like for your truck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I am in the exact same positition, 99 silverado 1500. I can go with the used western that I have located or a New meyers st, a friend owns the meyer shop arund here. Is the ST a good plow for mixed use, I do one small lot and fifty driveways, does the ST back blade very well?

11. the new boss 92

i would put a boss 7'6 superduty if you have a close by dealer. if the plow isnt big enough, you could slap a set of wings on it for commecial and take them off for resi. mabey even look into a smaller v blade to save you time in resi if you have experience using one?

12. bravada75

bravada75 Junior Member

what plow

I just put a boss sport duty 7 ft on my 04 dakota i also put timbren on the front it works great and the front end does not dip at all and it is easy to take on and off so after i plow i take it off it cost with the timbren and a amber strobe 4400 out the door installed with the 2 yr warranty

13. 99zrl

99zrl Junior Member

thanks for the info i think we are thinkin about a 7'6" boss v-plow used it weighs about 700lbs i think so i would guess with some tightening of the t-bars and the timbren up there should handle it good right?

14. 99zrl

99zrl Junior Member

i had a question :confused: on here but i answered my own question :laughing: but still lookin for advice :help:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The truck would handle the vee with a few suspension mods and the correct ballast. But the issue is a 7.6 vee isn't really ideal for an extended cab truck for residential use. A vee is suburb in it's versatility for residential use but a 7.6 is also too narrow for an extended cab truck when in the scoop configuration for the same use, as they're 4" narrower than a 7.6 straight blade in the angled position. 4" doesn't sound like much but for residential use it can be the difference between putting the truck in the landscaping or not. As truck length grows so should the plow in width.

In your situation I'd run an 8 ft straight before I'd run a 7.6 vee. Either will require suspension mods and either will be over on the FAWR regardless but it's all in what you're willing to do.

16. TwoBrosLawn

TwoBrosLawn Member
    from 53223

when you say suspension mods what are you talking about...leveling kit in front??? front and rear mods.....what mods should be done?

17. the new boss 92

t-bars timbrens possibly torsion bar keys?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on how much plow you're actually going to run but generally for a heavy plow on a lighter truck you need a T-bar change and in addition sometimes Timbrens also. Just depends on what you're doing.

19. 99zrl

99zrl Junior Member

well for us we are looking at a used plow the 7'6" vee isnt going to work out anymore... now we are looking at a 7'6" straight or the 8' straight.... what T-bars would u recommend for this truck and application?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

GK coded bars are a good fit on a 1/2 ton.