1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 c3500hd plowing question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by red07gsxr, Jul 10, 2015.

1. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

I was looking to add a 1999 Chevy 2wd single cab c3500hd dually. I was planning on putting a 9ft fisher plow and a sander in the back, how would this thing plow with snow, don't want to spend the money and not be able to plow since it isn't 4wd. I have plow with trucks just using 2wd in the past but having a 4wd option gives you peace of mind in those hairy situations. It's a 6.5 diesel FYI

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Will it,,yes.
    Since you didn't say what your using it for, can't say wether or not YOU should use it.

3. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

I plan on using it to plow a storage facility

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You have to push snow all the way down the lane to be piled up hundreds of feet on the other end. That's assuming you are plowing a typically designed storage unit place. I don't think I would bother using that truck for that job.

You can probably make it work with good tires, a lot of weight over the rear, and knowing what you're doing. 4x4 is available, so why not get it? Is this truck a killer deal or something?

5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Search feature will give you about 5,000 hours of reading on the 2wd plowing debate. Been beat to death allllmost as bad as the "which tires" question.

6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

Wasn't asking about 2wd plowing, was asking about the c3500hd, but thanks for putting your 2 cents in

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

If I was doing a storage facility I would have a V plow. My opinion the frames were not that great back then, were kinda thin. Would not be my first choice unless it's real cheap.

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

have one. did great with 2 tons in the bed. up to 12" of snow. out did my 04 duramax with 4wd. pretty sad i thought

9. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Plenty of people out there doing it, guy here in town with that exact truck just with a 9.5 v plow on it. He heaps the sander and doesn't put down any product until after all his places are plowed. He also doesn't stack very high due to the farther you get into the pile, the harder it is to get out.

10. Sawboy

You sure about that Chief? Sure looks like you were asking about 2wd plowing.

11. Sawboy

Also, everyone in this thread replied on the ability to plow in 2wd......yet you never corrected anyone else. Noob. Lol.

12. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

Noob I am far from it, been plowing for 12 years, was mainly asking about the pushing abilities of a c3500hd since it was 2wd

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I had that exact truck with a spreader in the back. It was mainly in schools. Plowed fantastic, I would do it again.