1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 Blazer + Snowbear 82"

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rjanderson8, Dec 14, 2010.

1. rjanderson8

rjanderson8 Junior Member

Hey, all, this is my first post, I am from Minnesota, and considering buying a plow for my blazer. I'm looking at the Snowbear line of plows for their price and size. I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer 4X4 with a 4.3l V-6. I love this truck, and would like to use it for driveways and maybe a small parking lot or two. I have seen mostly good reviews on the Snowbear plows, my biggest question is will I have any major sagging problems putting the extra 250 lbs or so on the front end? If need be, about how much ballast weight should I get to put on my hitch reciever? I look forward to your input and expertise.
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Hello, I have a snowbear & I dont think you will need ballast for a 99 blazer, but 3-5 sandbags right at the rear wont hurt(plus you got sand if you need) your stock front end should handle a snow bear plow just fine as is, just no ramming or you might break your truck or plow. Don't overtighten tip springs. allow the plow to tip or you will break/bend things. good luck
  3. brbcbrent

brbcbrent Member

I would be careful using that snobear on anything but driveways...I had one fold like a cheap suit on me as soon as I touched a p.lot curb with it....trip springs were bone stock. I'd also recommend fabbing up a new cutting edge out of 4" flat steel, drill it out in the centre so you can flip it over and get double the life out of it.
  4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a great idea brbc. I'm going to do that for my cutting edge,when ever I need a new 1. I found a second edge in the bed of my truck under the snow(freebie) so I wont need 1 for a while,but I've hit curbs(not hard) and I haven't damaged anything yet. It is true that you got to go easy on a snowbear,remember they are a "personal plow" meaning light duty. If you go easy on it, it should treat you good. That being said plowing is hard on anything(plow or truck) happy plowing from JGD Handyman in B.C. tymusic
  5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Im not sure about a snowbear plow (is that a big box store plow?). I would suggest a "name brand" plow like western, fisher, boss, meyer or blizzard if they still make a mount for your truck. I have a blizzard 7'2" on my 99 jimmy and it does fine (also have my old 6'8" blizzard for sale, no mount or truck side wiring, or controler) I did add timbrens to the front of my jimmy to keep the 31s from rubbing, otherwise no problems other than ball joints wearing prematurly. Good luck, Dave