1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 7.3 and manual trans

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by boba, Sep 12, 2003.

1. boba

boba Senior Member

I know there are a numbers of posts on this topic. I just can't use the right words to find them. My problem: 1999 f350 7.3 36,700 miles squeking noise pushing the clutch pedal in. Dealer replaced clutch slave noise still there. Throwout bearing problem?

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Is the noise inside the cab or out?

3. boba

boba Senior Member

the noise is inside the cab.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

On my '97 F-350, I had the same problem. Inside the clutch pedal shaft there are plastic bushings. These had worn out and caused the sqeaking. I ignored it for a while, but eventually the clutch pedal wouldn't return from the floor, it screwed up the over center point.

The parts are cheap, but the repair is a bear, at least on the '97. You have to work under the dash in an awkward position. I think I pulled the seat to have better access.

To check, try to rock the clutch pedal from side to side, then work it by hand and watch its movement. If you see it jerk at one point, these bushings are probably shot.

5. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I had that same bushing go out on my 99 F-350 and our 94 F-150 shop truck. On the 99 it wasn't a sqeaking noise or anything that told me it was gone. On day when I was just about ready to put the truck in the garage the _______ (instert word) pedal just went to the floor. So I ended up useing the old bushing and a couple of zip ties to hold it, that was 2 years ago and it is still working. Then a couple of weeks later I started to hear the sqeaking sound, and so here I put on a couple of zip ties, just to be safe, and used some Bel Ray chain lube (meant for my moto cross quads). And now, no more sqeaking or falling pedal :D

6. boba

boba Senior Member

:confused: Well today after a week I got the truck back from the dealer. They replaced the throwout bearing and forks(Ford paid 90% of the bill). Drove the truck less than 3 miles and the noise came back. Called the dealer and calmly said ........ They claimed to have replaced the bushings when the did the slave.

What now? Winter is approaching and this needs to be right for plowing and sanding.

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Try shooting some graphite on the ends of the swing shaft for the clutch pedal.