1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 2500 Ram V-10 Questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 2003ctd, Oct 18, 2009.

1. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

Hey guys I just picked up a 1999 Ram 2500 with the V-10.... This is my first V-10 and first gasser in quite some time.... The truck has a 152,000 miles on it...

1- The truck has a tick when it is cold, sounds like a lifter (or lifter leak down) but goes away when it warms up, seems to have gotten worse since I changed the oil, I did add a bottle of lucas oil treatment when I changed the oil but it didn't seem to help much.. Before I decide to tear into this thing, are there any known problems associated with the lifters, or anything else that could be causing the tick?

2- My oil pressure seems high, around 80 when the truck is fully warmed up, once again this is my first V-10 so this could be normal????

3- What tempature should this thing be running at when fully warmed up? It seems to be running cold, A quarter of the way up on the gauge..

4- What trans is in this truck?

Besides the ticking, the truck runs fine has lots of power.. Are there any other issues with these trucks I should look for?

THANK YOU for any help!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. LiveRound

LiveRound Junior Member

1.) The tick is a common thing thing for higher mileage v10's

2.) Ive seen alot of posts about abnormal oil pressure reads on v10's.... mine said i had no oil pressure on start up and then it would wam up and show 60psi... I put a new sender in it .... same reading... put a manual gauge on it an i got 50psi cold and 30-40 warm... ? so im kinda lost on that one.

3.) Same thing as the oil gauge... id put a manual gauge on it and see what it says, im willing to bet the motor it around 195*... and the gauge is only reading a quarter...

4.) If im correct it should have the 47rh just like the diesel..

This is my 1st V10 as well it has a good amount of power and is very thirsty, but im not really impressed...especially compared to 12v and 24v cummins trucks.... most V10 forums you will go on will have more posts in the tech section, and 75% will be about the same consistant problems...

Also be VERY careful when doin a tune up on this truck an be sure that the plug wires for cyl 5 and 7 do not contact each other... will eventually cause a wicked missfire and could cause major damage.