1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 250 SD Front End???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SuperDuty, Jan 25, 2006.

1. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Hello all, I'm new here and am in need of a little advice...My 99's ball joints need to be replaced already and it also seems that the right front hub may need to replaced also. My question is has anyone ever done this? I have the ball joints which weren't that expensive but the front hub is around $500.00. The ball joints are only 14 months and 14k miles old. They were all replaced by the dealer I bought it from. I've been told the whole job could cost 1000 to $1500. Any Ideas as to what I can do here, I called Ford and they told me to bad!

Thanks
    Rich:confused:

2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Hey the ones you bought have the grease fitting? If not return them! The s/d eat up ball joints! My buddy did his in his drive way--you do need some special tools! It is about a $500 job for a garage to do them--I had mine done in July--- the none grease fitting ones seem to only last about 20K! Best of luck hope this helps!

3. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Thanks for your feedback! I just can't stomach the dealer putting in a hub and it needing to be replaced within 15k.

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Definitely use Moog brand ball joints. When you say Hub are you referring to the lock out? I installed Warn premium hubs for about $175. Also check out the wheel bearings, they are prone to go out. www.powerstrokeshop.com has a great kit to do ball joints, seals, and wheel bearings at a very good price.

5. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

just replaced my left and right balljoints. The leftside wheel bearing and hub assembley need to be replaced also. Total cost. $1000.00....Make sure you get the balljoints with the grease fittings. -----Funny story---I Called ford for a price on balljoints with grease fittings. The parts guy said....What are grease fittings.........payup