1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999/2000 straight boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ultra, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Ultra

Ultra Member

:help:Wont turn side to side I appreciate the response still no luck. When the plow is up I can take my hand and move blade sideways like no pressure but no leaks, hydro full electrical connected springs connected now what? It does go up and down thats it.. When i use controller to turn right or left it just goes up! Help :help:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  2. mgf250

mgf250 Member

I thought I responded to this.. must have been eaten by the database moster??

Your joystick may be gummed up. Take it apart and clean the contacts.
    Use alchol or a good electronics component cleaner.
  3. Ultra

Ultra Member

Responding from 1999/2000 straight plow

You did respond and we actually put another joystick on thats not it. Plow will not go side to side someone said it could be a valve problem what now?:help:
  4. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Check Your Hoses And Ram Seals For Weeping Or Leaks. It May Need To Be Topped Off.
  5. Ultra

Ultra Member

We checked for leaks, connections tight, springs good, Does it matter if i used trans fluid instead of Boss Plow fluid?
  6. mgf250

mgf250 Member

valve body

If the plow goes up then the fluid is ok. I used auto transmission fluid in my Fisher with no problems.
    Did you make a repair that could have caused the problem?
    You should not be able to move the blade with your hand. Even if there was air in the system, you should not be able to move the blade.

1. Stuck solenoid valve in the open position. This would allow you to move the blade with your hand due to the valve being stuck open.
    2. I am not familar with BOSS but if there is some sort of computer chip then it is possible that it is damaged and somehow telling the valve to stay open.

I suppose if you can still move the blade with the truck off and the power disconnected from the plow assembly then you have a stuck solenoid (1). Try a hammer on the valve assembly... NO KIDDING!! Gently!
  7. Ultra

Ultra Member

Been there done that still no luck come on you boss people where are ya I need your help !:help:
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

We need to first determine of it's an electrical or a hydraulic problem.....

You said that it goes up when you try to angle it right or left correct?

Ok, The first thing to check is if when you try to angle it right or left, is the lift valve energized? (the lift valve is the one with the white wire)
    Check it with a wrench or screwdriver for magnatizem.... if it does have magnatizem when your trying to go left or right, then it's an electrical problem.

If it doesn't, then it's a hydraulic problem.
  9. Ultra

Ultra Member

Thank you we will try and see what happens. Ultra
  10. Ultra

Ultra Member

Finally ! It is fixed ! It was the 203.00 valve that was stuck after my partner gave it some major whacks with a hammer it angles are smoother than a car salesmans speel. Thanks for all the suggestions:D
  11. I have used MerconIII for years
    works fine

Did you try calling Boss??
  12. mgf250

mgf250 Member

Glad to be of help

I looked at a plow parts book that I have and it shows that the solonoid valves are horizontal. This is a poor design by all manufacturers. Solenoid valves are best in the vertical position so the coil moves the piston up or down and gasket seals wear evenly. There are still times that a piece of debris will block the piston however the leakage past the valve is minimal and eventually gets flushed away.
    A horizontal design has gravity working against it where the six oclock position of the piston and seals are constanly being worn. This is where debris gets caught up and does not come out easily.

Another issue are normally closed circuits where coils are always energized. Energized coils are HOT and over time break down seals. GUMMY seals attrack debris!

Nothing beats levers, cables and manual valves!

It's good to see that you have your investment back up running! Add the hammer to the other tools sliding around the back of the truck.