1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1999 1500 frame...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Tracy89, May 19, 2012.

1. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Had anyone else ran into issues with crossmembers and frame rails rotting out? My truck seems as though it might be past the point of repair. How much have you guys paid to have frame work done before? Is it worth doing with the age of the truck?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can you still get the crossmembers from the dealers? If there still ava shouldn't be to much to have a shop replace them

3. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

How's everything else on the truck, drivetrain body etc? If it's worth it you could do an entire frame swap. IF that's not worth your time I'd hit up a junkyard and get replacement crossmembers, and patch the frame rails if it's only a few minor spots. It really depends on the severity of the rot.

4. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

I wouldn't mind doing a frame swap..Ii mean the drive train is in good shape and the body is also in good shape I just don't really know what it takes to do a frame swap or how hard it is. The cross members are pretty much junk and I cant find any that are worth much at all. The drivers side frame rail hasn't rotted through yet but has the hollow noise that steel shouldn't have. I wouldn't mind keeping the thing but I really just don't no when enough is enough as far as how deep into restoration i should really go.

5. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Frame swaps aren't really hard, but they are time consuming. You have to disassemble everything from the old frame and move it all onto the new frame.

6. dieselss

Did u try the dealer for the crossmembers? As far as frame swaps go,,,,,,hard kinda,, time consuming He'' yes!!!!!!! And need alotta space. I did 4 at the dealer...took up 2 and a half bays to do them. Not the hardest job I have done,,,,but I don't know how ur gunna do it without a lift

7. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

You are right...!! Sitting at the computer typing it sounds like a frame swap isn't really all that hard and can be done in a weekend...which it probably could providing I have all the right tools and someone who knows what the hell they are doing.. Most likely I do not though. Got a quote for 600 bucks to pretty much just sister the frame rail with steel and the guy wanted to use exhaust tubing to make new cross members. Thought it was kind of a scammer especially when he looked me dead in the face and told me that he wouldn't warranty his work and that the truck still wouldn't be able to haul a snowmobile trailer or plow for that matter. Two things that are kind of essential for me in the winter time. Maybe someone in my area could help me out? Im kind of out of options at this point. No credit = No truck loan... and I couldn't rip someone else off by trading trucks... No welder to attempt to fix it on my own... Any ideas?

8. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

Dealer in my area said they couldn't even get me cross members....got an lmc catalog coming in the mail...guess i could try that...still doesn't fix the frame rail issue though...

9. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

if you can't find a donor frame or cross members it may be time to part the truck out and try and gather as much money towards a new truck

10. dieselss

Which cross members are u needing by the way?

11. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I can look at one of my customers bone yard. Too see if he has a good one or two I do need to know with one is needed. Ask if your local bone yard has a nation wide parts look up. A lot of yards have them.

12. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

yea ill have to check and see. its all four that really should be replace. Ill have to ask my brother in-law. They own a local salvage yard. The ones that are really bad are the two front ones. The one that is under the back of the cab, and the one that goes over the gas tank. Would plating the frame get me a little more time, atleast until I can save some money?

13. blazer2plower

OK ill ask him it will have to wait till Monday when he is open.

I love my Z

14. blazer2plower

50 each plus shipping at mills auto parts 260-493-1553 in New Haven Indiana