1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 steering woes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jb1390, Sep 8, 2011.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I recently did a motor swap on my truck due to bad rod bearings. At the same time, i figured I would change the power steering pump, and the gear box, because they were easy to get to with the motor out. The steering box had a little bit of play anyway.

Since then-
    I lost power steering at idle. Changed the pump, seemed a bit better.

I lost power steering at idle. This time, I changed the pump with one from Napa instead of advance auto. I also installed a power steering filter. This made it a little better, but I still cannot steer the wheels on wet or dry pavement without significant effort, unless I am slightly rolling.

Also since then, the steering box play went away, but it felt like the truck wouldn't track straight down the road, corrections were always needed. Not at all fun to drive.

So I changed the steering gear box.

Now, I still cannot turn the wheels while stopped, even on my lawn. And the steering gear box has significant play, more than the original one that came out of the truck.

Any thoughts?
  2. mule585

mule585 Member

check idler arm and steering position sensor mite not be ether of them but its a place to start. is your truck a 1500 or a 2500 i might have one or two boxes if your interested.
  3. camarojoe

camarojoe Junior Member

On my 97 there is a valve that controls the amount of fluid flow to the steering box to stiffen up the steering at higher speeds. It is located on the back of the pump. If this is bad or the wiring going to it is damaged it can result in tight steering at slow or no speed. GM dealers sell a kit to eliminate this valve/switch. Since it was a poor design.