1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 K 3500 drivers side rattle noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jeepxj, Feb 4, 2010.

1. jeepxj

jeepxj Member
    from co

I thought I would just throw this out there and see if anyone had any ideas. I have a 98 1 ton that rattles when I hit a but in the road manhole cover etc. It's on the drivers side. I can feel the rattle shifting noise. I looked at tie rods and they seem tight. Shocks have no leak and don't seem to be bad. I'm guessing either ball joints or hub/bearing??? Any ideas? This is driving me crazy not being able to figure this out.
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My 96 does the same thing, I'll just troll in to see what's up!!!
  3. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

check the bolt for the sway bar
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Front end should be easy to rule out. Just do a normal ball joint/tie rod check. Could be body mounts too.
  5. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

check the bolts and sleeves on your calipers, I have one rattling at the moment. To cold to climb under and fix. Sounded like a ball joint or tie rod, metal on metal rattle and thump, but went away if I applied the brakes.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Ball joint, tie rods, swaybar endlink, shock, or torsion bar mount "bushing". That's all i can think of I doubt it's a hub bearing if it were that loose you would know it.