1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 gmc sierra 4x4 ext cab 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by zach5187, Mar 2, 2007.

1. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

I have a 1998 gmc sierra 1500 4x4 ext cab and im mainly wanting to do residental lots but possibly small commercial lots like a jiffy lube lot or something of that size my question is what is the most weight the biggest plow weight wise that i should put on my truck i have 3/4 ton bars and torsion keys and i plan on putting helper bags once i get a plow what should i get as far as poly or steel i want poly cause its lighter but then again i know nothing about the plow scene let me know what your set up is
  2. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

first off most poly plows are heaver then steel .
    I know mine is a little heaver then most will agree is right for the truck I have a Western pro 8ft unimount it is close to 700lbs. having the same truck as you it works out fine I have about 1000lbs in the bed and it drives like a tank . I cranked the T-bars about 2in. and added a timbren like bump stop that keeps the truck only dropping 1 1\2 inch when I lift the plow . I plowed large lots this year and did fine . I feel that if you take it easy and try not to race to get things done you won't hurt your truck any more plowing lots then drives .