1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 GMC Brake rotors

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Motorman 007, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Have any of you guys ever had to replace warped rotors on 98-99 GMC 2500 4X4s? Do you really have to take the whole hub and bearing assembly off? It was a tough dissassembly, I'm just wondering if there was an easier way.

Got the job done, replaced the calipers while I was there and now the brake hose connection leaks at the rebuilt caliper. Tried the new copper washers, the old ones, and every combination in between, still leaks. I'm going to replace the brake hoses, any other ideas??

2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

Unfortunately that's the only way. The hubs will be difficult to get out the first time. My trick is to loosen the four bolts that hold the hub to the spindle about three turns or so. Hit each one in turn with a sledge hammer to get the hub moving. Once the brake splash shield is loose, back the bolts out a little more and hammer again. Repeat until the hub is loose enough to pull out by hand. Note that you do need to unplug the wheel sensor harness and unbolt the retainer clips before you remove the hub. I've had to do this a few times on my 99 crewcab dually and after the first time it goes a lot faster.

Joe Padavano