1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 F-150 Ford

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JUSTBE, Sep 15, 2005.

1. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

I am looking to add a plow to a 1998 F-150 Ext Cab Ford but it only has a front axle of 3400 lbs. Seems like all I can find is the "home line". Does anyone have any suggestions. I am not looking at "overloading" the front end of this vehicle. I am wondering what the "standard" or "recommended" weight of a plow that the front could handle without making changes to the suspension.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

Plow Size

You Can Put Any Size Plow On, I Had A 7 1/2 Western On My Chevy 1/2 Ton It Will Be Just Fine. People Will Say Dont Plow With A Hafe Ton But Its All Good.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

You had better get the F250 (light duty F250) torrsion bars. Otherwise you have a great chance of snapping them in half.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

meyer makes a special 7.5 for 1/2 ton fords and chevys or you can get a curtis plow

5. westwind

westwind Member

Air Bags! The truck will handle a plow, but upgrading the suspension is cheap insurance.

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It will handle it fine, I would suggest some airbags or maybe Timbrens though.

7. JUSTBE

JUSTBE Member

Thanks for everyone's responses. I just need to determine if I go with a Sno-Way or a Blizzard.

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Blizzard 810 plow... :bluebounc

9. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Whole Dana 60 front axle. Go junk yarding and have some fun with it all!

10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You will want to add Timbrens or Airbags to reduce sag in the front end. As Far as plows go, stay 550 LBS or under for that truck. You will want to make sure you have an auxillary transmission cooler which you sould have if the truck came with the tow package.

Blizzard, Western, Fisher, Meyer, Boss, snowayand Curtis all make "Standard" 7'5" plows for your truck. Fisher may give you problems about installing a 7'6" RD bacause they are trying to push their little homesteader so much. Shop around, if somebody gives you a problem with installing the right plow, go someplace else. F-150's handle plows fine, its best to have the 7700# package but if you dont its fine just keep the weight 550 LBS or under and your all set. Take care of the truck and only carry the plow around when its absolutely necessary and your all set and should not have any problems with an F-150.

Any questions, feel free to ask, I have plowed for 3 years with mine.

Good Luck