1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 dodge ram 2500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by fisher36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. fisher36

fisher36 Junior Member

The truck after it starts and runs for about a minute begins to start hissing. If I hit the gas it goes away and then starts again. I also here this noise when I'm driving sometimes. Also when trying to pick up speed the noise get's louder and continues to stay loud especially on the highway. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

check to see if your intake is on tight.

3. fisher36

fisher36 Junior Member

I will and will this help with picking up with speed faster. Now when I try to accelerate it takes quiet a while for the truck to get up to speed

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

also have your intake manifold gasket checked, its a very common problem with dodges.

5. fisher36

fisher36 Junior Member

Thanks for the tips gold pro

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The plenum gasket goes quite often in those trucks, take of your air intake and look straight down your throttle body to see if there is any oil- if you see some it needs a new plenum gasket. It sounds like you have a vacume line loose or disconnected somewhere. Open the hood and rev the engine and search around until you find where it is coming from.

7. 98ram1500

98ram1500 Junior Member
    from Maine

Its the EGR it is sticking open mine dose it to