1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 Dodge 1500 with 5.2 Magnum automatic

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Andy96XLT, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Guys, I just found the above mentioned truck with 171000 miles on it. It drives well it seems. Is it capable of plowing some driveways or will it blow up you think? I am not familiar with this engine :( I have given up on the f250 in the other post. I will buy this tonight if it sounds good. THANK YOU!!

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

High miles...good engine. How much?

3. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

2700./// I would do like 2500 i think?

4. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I also drove it around, checked 4 hi and lo, engaged without a problem, not exactly a fast truck i must say, but a good tune up and some TLC should help with that I think?

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

For what you want to spend, you can't expect to find a perfect and trouble free truck. It's up to you what truck you want. Lot's of people plow with 1/2 tons on here. If plowmiester can put a big v-plow on a Jeep, I doubt a Ram 1500 will blow up. Don't let us make the decision for you. You are the one looking at them and driving them in person. We are just speaking from experience.

6. TSherman

TSherman Member

You are considering less of a truck, with more miles and no plow now? Why not look at a prius too and we can debate that.

A 1/2 ton dodge with that many miles is a bad idea. Junk to begin with. You seem to be the guy who would benefit real good from a Wranger with a plow. Killer driveway vehicle to plow with. 4.0L is a great motor with a lot of torgue. An auto would plow easier, but the manual gets the torque in the right spot.

You obviously don't want to spend the money to keep you off the side of the road when others are making money, so maybe this will be a little much. I think you can roll a Jeep down a mountain, set it on fire and still get $5000 for it.

7. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I thought about a wrangler but I need something with a bed because it will not just be a plow vehicle, but also a regular work vehicle hauling dirt, lumber, anything. I need something with a bed. I will spend the money IF I find something worth the money. I am not going to just hand over money for something that is not worth it though, im not that stupid. I can also fix many many things myself and do my own maintenance. I build engines, but I do not know enough of how to build transmissions, which is my problem.

I should note though that the work vehicle is not going to be a daily driver so I don't want to spend a ton of money.

8. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

This truck was just sold so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Thank you for the input everyone!

9. TSherman

TSherman Member

If your area is anything like here stake bodies with plows are cheap. Great all around hauler.