1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 crew cabs.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by aktnt, Nov 9, 2009.

1. aktnt

aktnt Junior Member

My first post. I ran across this site while researching options for my trucks. I have 2 '98 1 ton crew cab trucks. One is a fleetside with the Vortec 350, the other is a dually with the vortec 454. With the snow season coming on i'm getting pressure to get a plow and a business license, friend of mine says he can keep me busy, and I can certainly use the work. :nod: I'd like to buy one plow that can be used by either truck. Why am I running into a snag with crew cabs? What do I have to do to the crew cabs to make them plow worthy? :help:
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I presume you are having trouble finding plow manufacturers that list "approved" plows for the crewcab. The IFS are nice trucks, and capable plow vehicles. But they are plagued by low FAWRs from GM. The crew cab really eats into available payload. Your trucks can be made to work, with some minor mods. Read through the Chevy truck forum here, and search for stuff like Timbrens, T-bars, torsion, etc. Plenty of reading for you. Needless to say, those are not great trucks for suburban driveways, but they are great in parking areas or long drives/roads.

Welcome aboard! That's a great name for a town BTW....
  3. aktnt

aktnt Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. Considering the Western Wideout. Was considering an 8.5 ft pro plus but currently none in stock.