1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 Chevy 1500 Diesel 4X4- good for plowing or not????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by LuffTruckingLLC, Jan 23, 2005.

1. LuffTruckingLLC

LuffTruckingLLC Junior Member

Just needed some insight on this truck. Its a 98 Chevy 1500 diesel 4x4 extended cab shortbed. I am interested in putting a plow on it for some light commerical and residential. I was wondering if its too heavy in the front for a plow or not. Being that it is a diesel. I will be putting a spreader on the rear also. One for salting and the other for weight distribution. Jsut let me know thanks guys :confused:
  2. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

you could probley run that, but you will need some timbrens bad with that!!!!!!!!!
  3. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

I didn't even know a diesel was available for a 1500. Learn somthing new everyday. That said, seems like not a good idea. Even the new 2500HD duramaxs' front ends are maxed out with a plow.
    Check your door sticker for the front GVW. If you can go to your local scale and run on there scales measure your front and rear weights. Add the plow weight and see if you exceed the listing on the sticker.
    Now add the weight off the speader and make sure you dont' go over the total GVW. I don't think it can be done with a 1/2 ton truck.
    If you try it check your tire ratings many 1/2 ton come with p tires some with LT tires. You should have min load range D tires.
  4. Roostr84

Roostr84 Junior Member

I would pass

I believe the GM diesel does not weigh much more than a big block. However the 6.5 liter's are prone to injection pump failures. I know there are some kits that help alleviate this but I think from a reliability standpoint I would pass it up for something else. I am sure that others may have a different opinion but before buying my used diesel truck I did a lot of research and that was my conclusion. You can crank the torsion bars up to compensate for the weight or replace them with a heavier duty set out of a 3/4 ton. But the other thing that sticks out to me is the rears in that thing. I wonder how long they will last behind some plowing in there stock condition.
  5. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I would say if you already have the truck then it COULD do it with Timbrens although I don't know how long the truck would last. It would probably depend on how you treat the truck and how it has been treated in the past. I would go with a 7 1/2 foot plow max.

If you are thinking about buying the truck I would definately not buy it - get something a little more heavy duty and you might want to stay away from the "pre-duramax" diesels or get a gas.

6. LuffTruckingLLC

LuffTruckingLLC Junior Member

Thanks guys. been alot of help thats was kinda my conslusions aslo. Just get a bigger truck.