1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 air conditioning

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jb1390, Mar 26, 2010.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

The air conditioning in my 98 has not worked for some time. It worked when I got it, but since an intake manifold swap it has not worked. I cannot find any blown fuses, and everything is hooked up correctly. The book is not much help with diagnosing this sytem-are there any ways of testing one component at a time? The clutch is not cycling-though the light in the cab is on. Can I just apply 12v to the clutch to see if it engages and go from there?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You need to start with a pressure reading of the AC system. You can buy simple gauges pretty cheap. I would get the two gauge three hose deal. Makes trouble shooting and filling the system much easier.

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Would incorrect pressure prevent the clutch from engaging?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes. There is a low pressure cutout. It prevents the compressor from running without refrigerant, and therefore lubrication.

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Cool-I think I will try charging it a little bit and see what happens. I have a couple of those quick charge kits at home, that would be an easy solution.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes that's all it takes. Good luck.