1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rfed32, Jan 1, 2007.

1. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

I Am Looking At A 1998 C/k 2500 With 117k On It...they Are Asking 8k Us Dollars...wondering What U Guys Think About It And You Guys Who Have Then If There Are Any Problems Uve Had

its Got
    4x4
    Pw
    Pl
    Cc
    Tilt
    Auto Trans
    5.7 V8
    40/20/40 Bench
    Spray In Bed Liner
    A Few Dents/paint Chips/and Floor Could Be Cleaned
    Runnin Boards That Will Be Commin Off
    Hood Scoop
    Tinted Rear Glass(no Slider)
    8ft Bed

2. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

Sounds a little pricey to me. I think if you look around a bit (especially here in new england) you could find a comparable truck with a plow for the same money. Good luck, Roy

3. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

That's a real pretty truck, but way too much money for a regular cab, you could get an extended cab around here for less. Of course, there's nothing wrong with a regular cab, I just think they ought to be cheaper. Couple things jumped out at me. Those kinds of modifications (scoop, rims, gauges) sometimes indicate a youthful owner, sometimes youthful owners abuse their vehicles, if you know what I mean. I don't like the tires for plowing, too wide and not the right tread. They would work, anything will work, just not ideal and you'd probably end up adding a few hundred bucks for tires. I can't make it out in the pictures because my monitor is small, but does it have 6 lug or 8 lug wheels? The 6 lug is really just a glorified half-ton, whereas the 8 lug is a 3/4 ton. The 4x4 bed stickers are not there, has it been repainted and why? And speaking of 4x4, how do you shift that truck into 4x4? I can't see any transfer case lever or buttons on the dash or anything...

I prefer to buy a truck without a plow and add it myself, that way you know it hasn't been plowed by some ninny who may have pounded on it, however you're going to be into that truck for way over $10,000 in no time and it's just not worth it. That truck looks like it may have been off-roaded, another thing to stay away from. A truck with a plow can be a big savings though, as long as you know what you're looking at and don't buy something that's been beaten to near the end of it's usefulness.

I would strongly recommend you keep looking. I love those style trucks but there are zillions of them out there, so many to choose from and most priced better than Slick Fred's Used Car Emporium. I realize you mentioned trading, that kind of leaves you out of the private sale market, but not an insurmountable problem. I would recommend going to a local credit union, (or bank if that's all you have), pre-qualify for a loan then go shopping with some bargaining power. If you can sell your trade in car for cash that's even better.

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I checked autotrader online using Fred Beans zip code, found a nice 97 diesel, ex cab shortbed with a plow for about the same money in Royersford. Private sale though, so you'd have to sell your car outright and borrow the money. 106k miles which is nothing for a diesel.

6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

i would say about $6,000 for that truck, as far as the miles those don't scare me, my 98 has over a 140,000 miles on it but its diesel, however my 95 has about 120,000 on it and still running strong, i know plenty of people with the 350 motor and there up around 200,000

7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

made some good points that i did not take into thought...im gonna keep on looking....dad found a 1999 1500 forsale today that i am going to check out...so we will see how that goes...thanks a lot for the help...