1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 1500 transfer case help!!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RCsLawncare, Nov 5, 2011.

1. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

I have a buddies truck Im trying to check out. The 4x4 on the floor seems to want to go into the correct selection, but then doesn't quite get there and grinds a little bit. Is there any common problems or ways to check it out... looking for a place to start... Thinking linkage... Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

2. RCsLawncare

1500, 5.2, auto...

3. ram_tough2001

ram_tough2001 Senior Member

4. rammanriley

rammanriley Junior Member

You talking about going into hi gear or low gear?

5. ram_tough2001

when the snap ring fails it doesnt matter what gear. when it fails it allows for the tail shaft to wander, and your t-case say goodbye and usually cracks the case doing so.

6. RCsLawncare

yes, it acts like it will select but is just a little bit away from actually engaging... I still haven't found time to check it out, need to get on that this week...

7. ram_tough2001

just dawned on me. check your front driveshaft also. when my front u joint failed(just before it took a walk out from under my truck at 40mph) i couldnt shift into 4lo. i could go into 4hi just fine but not 4lo. what happened there was my cad vac lines rotted out and left the axle engaged. now that i have replaced the pinion yoke, u joint, driveshaft, and cad vac lines, it shifts smoothly in all gears flawlessly.

also, check these guys out, and it will explain a little bit about the snap ring i mentioned.