1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1998 1500 Ram Sport with HD pkg. no plow prep. package.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MetroBoston, Jan 20, 2005.

1. MetroBoston

MetroBoston Junior Member

Hi everyone, my question is it worth trying to get into the plow game with a 1500? I have browsed the site and have seen many people with 1/2 tons. I know the best way to go is 3/4 which means a bank loan for me. The ram has 125,000 miles on it and is still strong. I know I'M do for a suspension update at some point. I want to do driveways and thats it I know I should stay away from parking lots.
    Any input from plow veterans will be very helpful. thank you

STRONGARM Senior Member

I plowed with a ram 1500 for 3 seasons,Had no problems. Make sure your trans is serviced, and beef up your front end. Try and go with a smaller blade to lessen the weight.
  3. danno

danno Senior Member

I`ve got a 96 1500. Bought it last year, with 98,000 miles. Truck is in great shape. I have the 360 motor, plow prep. pkg., tow pkg., and had the tranny serviced, plenum gasket done,all fluids changed, and new shocks wiyh Timbrens added. I have a Fisher MM I plow I bought used for 300.00, which is also in great shape, and had it attached. I also run 235/85/75/16s GoodYears ATs. Have used it a few times with the plow and works great ! BTW, the truck came with the orignal window sticker which is great knowing all the info. on it !
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  4. MetroBoston

Thanks Stongarm and Danno for the input. What do you guys suggest I need to beef up the front end. the truck has the original suspension with a 125,000 miles. You know a few driveways could turn into 10 driveways. $$$$$
    I know fisher has a rd and light duty plow they suggest for the ram. this is a ram sport regular cab.

STRONGARM Senior Member

To do the front end go with those timbrens they do make a world of difference.Do you have a trans cooler?
  6. MetroBoston

7. danno

danno Senior Member

I Concur !
  8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I just answered this recently in another thread, so here's a copy & paste of it for you.

A 7 1/2 footer should do nicely, the brand of your choice.

If you do a search of this topic within PlowSite, you'll find more out than I could tell you if I spent the next hour typing, as this topic comes up all the time here. But, just quick and in general, yes your truck can handle it. You should add timbrens (load boosters) to your front end to help with the weight as your 1500 is not equipped with HD springs and shocks. You'll also need to add at least 600# weight to your bed for ballast. Tube sand works nicely and should be put in the very back of the bed behind the rear axle.

There are loads of guys on the site who run 1/2 ton trucks with no problem, just like the other guys who've already answered you here. Just remember, it doesn't matter if you have a 1/2 ton or a 1 ton, if you don't operate your equipment with care, you'll have problems. That's the key, along with proper preventative and routine maintenance. Anything mechanical has it's limitations. Knowing those limits, and being mindful of them when you're plowing, is the difference between success and failure.

Good luck out there!
  9. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Here's a picture of my 98 Ram 1500. With an 8' Western Unimount.

I had 1-ton deisel springs put in the front, and I just added a couple of add-a-leafs in the rear to help balance it all out.

Plus, an aftermarket transmission cooler....ans so far all is well. We're up to about 87" of snow so far...

I primarily do residential driveways and one smaller commercial lot.

10. MetroBoston

Thank You folks, for your valuable input. I will wait until the summer to do everything which will give me time to set up accounts for the winter.......