1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 Wrangler TJ

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by garyslawn, Jan 1, 2004.

1. garyslawn

garyslawn Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I want to use the Wrangler for back up and residuntal drives. It only has a 4 cylinder and automatic trans. Do you think it is strong enough to take a plow?

2. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Yes, a small plow would work great on that. Install a good aftermarket trans cooler, and maybe a trans temp guage. Use 4 low to take advantage of the gear reduction in the t-case. This also aleviates some stress on the engine and trans. The 4 banger will work fine, plowing is not a HP thing, its a traction and weight thing.

You might want to consider upgrading the front suspension to handle the excess weight of the plow. Timbrens seem popular on this site. I would also recoment swapping in a set of Cherokee (XJ) front coils in. The Cherokee front coils are the same hight at the Wrangler coils but have a higher spring rate and will not sag as much with the plow on. Stock TJ coils have a lower spring rate and sag very quickly when extra weight is added, even my Warn winch sagged my stock springs. When the plow is not on they will increase your front ride hight slightly leveling out the vehical, not more than an inch in my experience.

A 4 banger Jeep probably has a small battery with a low CCA rating. The alternator is probably very low on the output side. A must would be a higher performance battery such as an optima or any other like battery. You can get a dual battery setup for the Jeeps also pretty much anywhere off-road accessories are sold.

The only other thing I'd watch out for is the front wheel bearings. 1987 to present Wraglers used a unitized wheel hub with sealed non servicable wheel bearings. These are not heavy duty at all. One season of moderate 4 wheeling with 33" tires caused alot of wear on the hubs. I'd recomend checking them after every season of plowing. Jack up that wheel and grab it at 12 and 6 and try and wiggle it, ANY play at all means they are wore. You'll get some funky tire wear patters if your bearings are loose, worn. The hub assemblies are about $130 a side and are very easy to replace.

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

The XJ coils sound like a good alternative. I guess you could use coil-rite air helpers too inside the springs.

-Jer

Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  4. garyslawn

garyslawn Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

Cocco 78; Thanks. You are very through, answered all questions.