1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 Silverado...to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DestroyerOfSenses, Jun 27, 2003.

1. DestroyerOfSenses

DestroyerOfSenses Junior Member

I know it is extremely hard to give me any advice over the net without knowing for sure the condition of a truck, but I will state before hand, any help will do.

I have been looking at a 1997 Silverado 1500 4x4 Z71 offroad with the 5.7 L V8, extended cab, offroad tires, hitch, and a flowmaster exhaust. It has been checked out by an excellent mechanic and there are only a few minor problems (need new front brakes, belt, and belt tensioner). Other than those few problems and a few dents, scratches and chips, it is in awesome shape. Now, the dealer wants $10,900 and the truck has 111,000 miles. Do you guys think this is a good price or too much? I personally don't want to pay $10,000 for a truck with over 100,000 miles and of couse I want a deal, but I also want to be fair. Does this sound like a good price? If not, what would you say?

Thanks for any input.
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

No, I think the price is way too high. This is about half the price you could get for a brand new truck. Better look for something else or you would need to really talk him down.
  3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

The price for the truck is way to high. for a truck with that many miles on it the price should be much less.

If you are going to be plowing and towing with the truck you may want to look at a bigger truck like the 2500 or 3500.

Good luck with the truck you buy:nod:
  4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The price is for sure too high. If it was a 2500 or 3500, then Id say the price wasnt too far off, but still high. You gotta remember this vehicle is a 1997. Trucks and SUV's do hold their value better than a car though nowadays, but without even seeing this truck, I know the price is too high. I bet the dealer owns that truck for about 5-6k. They ask a rediculously high price, because they know for sure the customer is gonna chew them down, and they will have to meet you somehwere in the middle. You got alot of chewin to do there though. If I were you, Id do alot of shoppin around, see what else is out there, and try to buy from a personal owner if at all possible rather than a dealer. When a dealer has a used vehicle for sale, you have no idea where he got it from and what it looked like when it got traded in. They can take a piece of junk and have it all cleaned up and make it look like something, thats what one of my brothers friends does who owns a used car lot. Anyway, shop around, thats my best advice, dont buy the first thing you see. Mike
  5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Mike has a really good advice. Just keep on shopping for something else and see what you can find & what the market is.
  6. mdchest

mdchest Junior Member

I do have to say something about this,, i really think you should see what the blue book value is on the truck,,i know personally that if i was selling my chevy and its a 1998 4X4 my chevy is worth around 10,500 on edmounds.com. So i know that if i was going to sell mine that is were i would start,,personally i do think that the dealer route is a bad way to go, but if what you say about the truck is true, then the dealer may not be to far off of what the blue book is,,,good luck.
    Mark in florida
  7. Choppergoddess02

Choppergoddess02 Junior Member
    from Alaska

I know that I am a bit late on this subject.. but If you bought that truck in alaska.... that would be a good deal.
    I booked out my friends for him about a month ago and his is a 98 gmc ext cab SB,SLT, it had 115,000 miles on it. and it booked out at 14,500 Retail.

If you ever want to book out a truck or car. Always use Nada or Kelly Blue book. Most of the west uses Nada (that is all AK uses) and the East uses's Kelly. Just ask the dealer what they use.

Did you ever get it or something else?
  8. DestroyerOfSenses

DestroyerOfSenses Junior Member

I'm still truckless. :(