1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 Ram 2500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Rangr25, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Rangr25

Rangr25 Junior Member

Hi I am looking into buying a 97 dodge 2500 for some minor residential plowing. I was just curious if there were any problems with that year that I should be watching out for?

The truck is...
    Dodge 2500 ext. cab long bed 4x4
    5.9L (360)
    216,000 highway miles very clean for the year and miles
    shift smooth and the steering is very tight still

Just curious if the truck has enough power to not only push itself but also some snow?

Any inputs would be fantastic and appreciated!!

Thanks alot!
  2. elshauno

elshauno Member

Make sure its a true 2500 D60 axles 241hd transfer case there are light duty 2500's check inside the drivers door should have a 4000+ gawr
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

gvwr should be 8800lb on a true 2500 hd.

Does it have the plow group?
    What condition is it in? rust
    What is the price.?

The weakest link is the transmission.
    If it shifts good and reverse is strong then take a look at the transmission dip stick.
    Does it look burnt, or brown does the fluid smell burnt.

The 360 is a good motor.
    But take the oil fill cap off and take a look at the underside and look into the valve cover.
    Is there any gook. ( gook, that is a technical term)

Then look in the radiator is there any gook/ corrosion?
    Now look in the over flow again look for gook. This could tell you that there is a problem.

Then put it in 4x4 and drive it does the drive system vibrate?

yea it'll push some snow;)
    does the transfer case shift properly?
  4. Rangr25

Rangr25 Junior Member

there is minor rust over the rear passanger wheel well... but thats pretty much it for rust. It seems to be in good condition mechanical wise, 4x4 works and shifts from drive to reverse smoothly. the asking price is $2,995... im trying to get it for $3,000 out the door after tax plates and all that good stuff.

Thanks for all the info so far! Now I really know what to look for when I go back to look at it!

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Track bars and front ends are not the greatest. Trans can give issues from time to time, preventative maint. will go a long way. Drop the trans pan add a filter and some good fluid and have the bands adjusted.

This truck will be dependable and push lots of snow.