1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 gmc sierra 3500 won't go over 98km/h

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by duramax-king, Jan 2, 2010.

1. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

hi guys i bought a 1997 gmc sierra 3500 not to long ago and i was told it needed a tranny shift cable, so i replaced it and tried it out on the highway and it still won't go over 98km/h, does anyone kno what this could be?
    Sorry it's a 6.5 turbo diesel with auto trans.

2. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

There is a factory speed limiter, it will need a custom ecm reflash to remove the limiter.

3. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

98km/h is like 60mph... Theres no way it would have a 60mph governor.

Is there a factory tach? If so, what RPM is the engine running at that speed? Sounds like it could be something to do with the trans cable in a lower gear. Although I thought they had shift linkages???

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like your not shifting into the final gears.

5. duramax-king

i replaced the linkage that shifts to the tranny, and it shifts into all gears.does anyone kno where i can get a custom ecm reflash, or other way to remove the limited.

6. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

ditto, this is what i thought first.
    I would get the book for our truck and adjust the shift cable properly.

7. duramax-king

the transmission shifts into all gears.it just won't let me go over 98km/h, if i try going faster it just drops a gear and then goes back up and speed doesn't increase.

8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

has it ever gone more than 98 since you bought it? or were you told that is why you needed a trans cable? maybe a throttle cable issue? ever change the fuel filter?

9. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

Did not see it was KPH and not MPH, I know the USA trucks from GM are all limited to either 96 or 98 MPH.

Hope you get it figured out.

10. duramax-king

no it never went over 98 km/h, and i was told it need a trans cable so i changed it, still won't go ofer 98.could be the throttle cable, will also try changing the fuel filter.

11. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

x2 on the rpm what are they ? What gear ratio does it have ? I had a similar problem with mine and it was a trans issue but the rpms where through the roof.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

RPM's and gear ratio would help figure it out more

13. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Is the turbo spooling up? Maybe there is no boost? Leaking fuel lines or fuel pump shot (not enough fuel pressure)? Exhaust or turbo ducts leaking?

14. duramax-king

rpms are close to 2700-2800, and everything else is good, i think that someone might have put a speed limiter on it (the previous owner). does anyone know how i can get the limiter off?or check if there is one?gear ratio is 3.73, i think but i'm not quite sure?

15. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Is there a check engine light? Does it pull up to 60 and then fall on it's nose? Need more info than it just won't go 60. BTW there isn't a throttle cable.

16. duramax-king

no check engine light on, it goes to 60 then if you want to go faster it just won't go.the truck drive normally until around 60mph and then when you go to speed up it shifts down and then a moment later it shifts back up.

17. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

The RPM is way to high for 3.73 gears at 98km/hr.

Ford 2004 6.0 auto 3.73 gears 98 km/hr = 1750 rpm

yours sound way to high.

18. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

Sounds like the 1st/2nd shift solenoid keeps turning off not allowing the transmission to shift into overdrive... Probably going to need to take it in unless you're a decent mechanic and know about automatic transmissions.

There are 2 solenoids: 1st to 2nd shift solenoid and 2nd to 3rd shift solenoid.

1st gear - 1-2 shift solenoid is ON, 2-3 shift solenoid is OFF
    2nd gear - 1-2 shift solenoid is OFF, 2-3 shift solenoid is OFF
    3rd gear - 1-2 shift solenoid is OFF, 2-3 shift solenoid is ON
    4th gear - 1-2 shift solenoid is ON, 2-3 shift solenoid is ON

In case you want to try to tackle this yourself, I'd start there...

This is all in regards to the shift linkages being correct and not bent.

19. duramax-king

ok so i went to my mechanic finally and he told me the gears are to low...? does anyone know what gears were availble in those years? or how to check your gears?

20. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I would suggest going to a dealer and have them run the V.I.N. They would be able to tell you the ratio from that. Also it should be a 4l80e trans behind the 6.5, I don't think there's a shift cable either since the throttle is "fly by wire" and the computer controls the trans. Good luck