1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 GMC K-1500 Value

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by exmark1, Feb 13, 2012.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I kind of stumbled across a 1997 GMC K-1500 Regular Cab, Long Bed, SLE Interior Package, Very Clean Rust Free Body, 94000 Actual Miles On The Truck, 350 V8 Engine, Automatic Transmission, Clean Interior Minor Wear On The Seat Edge But Overall Perfect Interior.

My questions is what is this truck worth... I don't know alot about the values on these older trucks like this! I really don't need it but I have always kind of wanted one of there trucks since high school.

There thinking $5000-$6000 ball park, it's an estate type deal where an older guy owned it and past away

2. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

They are right in the ball park. Some Timbrens and you have a great little truck.

3. exmark1

I am waiting to see what they settle on for a price, it's not up for sale yet so I have nothing but time. It's a customers family so we have first shot at getting it, I really don't need another truck but have been thinking it would make a better spare/backup truck then my 99 5.4 Super Duty with 200k on it

4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Seems a little high to me for a 1/2 ton. See what www.kbb.com values it at.

5. exmark1

I did that yesterday KBB Private Party was $5750.00 on the truck in good condition, I am not a fan of blue book values there usually kind of off which is why I asked for some real world pricing advice on it. My buddy at the Ford dealer here was trying to tell me that on the lot it would be a $7995.00 truck, I find that hard to believe

6. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Lol. I do believe a dealers sticker price would be that much. I'd offer $4200 and netigoate up to $5k. It is a 15 year old truck. Few months ago I bought an 02 F250 ex cab for $3500. Put $900 in it and hung a 9' V plow on it. Been a great truck so far. Unless you really need this truck, I would only buy it at a bargan price.

7. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

It would be a great truck for the right price. Problem is that the family is going to be looking at the same sources when they try to figure out what to sell it for so trying to convince them the truck is worth less than what the online sources are telling them might be a tough sell.

My fiance's Grandmother owns the exact same truck and year with only 22,000 original miles on it that I would love to have. The truck was her husbands who passed away 11 years ago and it only gets driven on the farm for hauling duties. The body is not dented up but does have quite a few scratches on it but is rust free. It is kept in the garage so it is not out in the weather. It even still has the original tires on it.

Wayne

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would think mid 4's. The miles are kind of low for how old it is so thats a bonus and may make it a little more valuable. Also be sure it had the intake gaskets done on it. If they weren't they are do. Typically get 100k out of them and they are junk. Check the oil to be sure they aren't already out. If they leak externally it is usually on the back side so its hard to see the coolant.
    What color is the truck?

9. exmark1

No one knows if they have been done or not, there is no coolant in the oil I checked that right away and nothing is leaking out the back of the intake.

Do you really need to ask what color it is lol it's red with a red interior

10. NBI Lawn

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

11. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Does it have white letter tires?

12. exmark1

No there just black walls lol

13. exmark1

I for the most part only look at red trucks, been obsessed with them since I was a little kid and my grandpa bought me my 1st International tractor when I was 1 year old. It was downhill from there...

We have 6 red trucks already, if we get this one it would be 7! I was thinking rims, larger tires, chrome etc... and make a toy out of it

14. exmark1

They just called me and said they found an Access cover for it the shed that is like new that I could have with the truck, there thinking $5000.00 is the best that they could do on the truck. I am going to go take it to my mechanic and have them look it over and see what I can do with it

15. NBI Lawn

Snap some pictures when you get it.

16. exmark1

I am going to pick it up and take it to a mechanic around 3:30 today and see what happens

17. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Just because you don't see coolant in the oil doesn't mean it is not getting in there. My 98 K1500 with the 5.7L has had the intake gaskets replaced three times since new in 121,000 miles and the last time they were replaced I think the truck had around 85,000 miles on it. One under warranty and twice out. The first time it leaked it leaked externally to the front and rear of the engine. The other two times it was leaking internally and I only caught it because I was doing oil analysis at the time and was able to see increasing levels of potassium in the oil. The oil looked normal both times. You normally won't see it in the oil unless you have had major gasket failure.

Both times I asked to see the gaskets and you could see where the gaskets were starting to come apart and fail. I think I may have kept the gaskets on one of the repairs.

Keep an eye on the overflow bottle and see if you see the coolant level drop over time. If it does and you don't see any external leaks, it is probably leaking inside the engine.

They have had two gasket revisions since the original ones so that should tell you something. The latest one is aluminum instead of plastic. I only have the first revision gasket in my 98 and thankfully the repair is holding but I imagine it will eventually fail so that I will have to have the latest one installed.

Wayne

18. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

the truck is worth it in my eyes, and they will sell it for that if its as clean as you say and the odometer hasnt been tampered with. i saw the thread i said 45-5000 for it.

19. exmark1

Overall the truck is a 9 out of 10 mechanic checked everything over and it looks good... I offered them 4250 waiting to see what they say today and see if they take it

20. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

from the sounds of it, seems like its worth everybit of what there asking. sounds like they will move on the pice seeing you a good friend of theres and they know it will get cared for and all. i have never have a problom with any of my high milage gm's. they are great truckss and little car needed! hope you get it i wanna see some pics if you do!