1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

**1997 gmc ghost**

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BLK BZT, Dec 18, 2010.

1. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

A couple months back, I was having issues with the driver's side rear brake being locked up after being parked for a while. I needed a brake job so I replaced all pads and shoes. The rear brake springs were bad and self adjusters were frozen. I installed a new spring kit and was able to free up the self adjusters and get them turning smoothly again. The wheel cylinders were not leaking so I left them alone. After the brake job the drivers rear brake self adjusted itself to much so I had to back it off. I haven't noticed any more problems with the brake being locked up, but now after my truck is parked for a short while and I jump in and go, there is a terrible vibration throughout the whole truck, and then all of a sudden it dissapears. Sometimes the vibration will go away after a half mile, sometimes it takes longer.

I'm thinking it's maybe the proportioning valve. Anybody have ideas what's going on or is my truck haunted? :eek: After I get this fixed I'll tell you the other half of the ghost story.
  2. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

my 97 does almost the same thing... after it sits for a day or so ill jump in it and when i hit the brakes the back ones will lock up... I know that if the axle seal or wheel cylinder leaks it will saturate the brake shoes and cause them to lock up... im thinkin about converting to disk brakes in the back
  3. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

I considered all disk myself. The more I think about it, maybe it's bad u-joints. Any help welcomed.
  4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Front cailper sticking/starting to go. Next time it does it pull over and see which side is HOT.
  5. BLK BZT

BLK BZT Junior Member

**Bad U-Joint**

So the vibration ended up being the drive shaft rear u-joint. I forgot to mention that sometimes when I would go in reverse there was a clank, clank, clank sound. Sometimes it would clank more then other times. I got under the truck and could actually see big gaps on two caps opposite of each other. I then jacked up the rear and turned the drive shaft, but it seemed pretty tight. Then I moved it back and forth the same direction as the two caps with gaps and was able to make that clank, clank, clank sound by hand. No more holy sh*# vibrations. I'm glad that's fixed.