1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 gmc 1500 headlights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JR Snow Removal, Nov 17, 2009.

1. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

tried this on the chevy thread but no help so here I go again:

OK I may be an idiot but how do you get the headlight out. I have a harness coming for my night saber lights and can not figure out how to get the headlight out is it the rods with the star shape on the end (2 rods) I didnt want to take them out b/c i thought those where for adjusting the light can someone please help its driving me nuts I've never been this dumbfounded on something so simple

thanks in advance:salute:

2. prostk2

prostk2 Member

It might be easier to remove the grille and take out the whole assy with mount. This makes running wiring easy and will make it neater also. IMO The little 4mm(not sure but it is small) hex is to remove on my 1998 GMC 2500. Let me know how it looks and turns out. Good luck

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If this is a classic GM there are 2 small hex head stems/bolts between the rad support and the bulb housing, they thread out like a regular bolt then pull straight up on them, then pull the lamp assy forward.

4. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

5. Crash935

hes talking about the quad composite headlight assy on the truck, not the plow.

6. JR Snow Removal

yup, Crash the 2 hex bolts you are talking about are those very small and look like a torque bit? i think i know what your talking about just want to make sure

7. Crash935

Theres only 2 per light assy, one towards the outside edge and one towards the insde edge of the mounting assy. they will go through the black plastic. If its been awhile since they have been out, its a good idea to spray some penetrating oil in there. They will sometimes break the treaded portion of the housing off and then you have to pull the 4 mounting bolts that are mentioned in the other thread to get it out.

If your really good, you can pull the marker light and come up from the bottom and just unplug the factory harness, fish the plow harness throught the radiator valance and then plug in the plow harness without removing the light assy or the bulbs.

8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

9. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

10. JR Snow Removal

haha wish i would have waited for your reply before i started screwing with it O well i got the drivers side out no problem they are 5mm bolts, the pass. side got one bolt out and the other just spins so i guess now I'm just going to pull the grill and fix that while I'm in there. I really appreciate the help Crash:drinkup:

and my meyer lights are nite sabers :nod:

11. Crash935

What the heck, you got the laptop sitting on the air cleaner with the hood open waiting for us to answer?

Ive broken my share so dont feel bad, one of those tricks you learn from.

12. JR Snow Removal

No, I had to keep the laptop by the door so I could get a signal haha

13. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

14. JR Snow Removal

Meyers site isnt working right now (lot of people trouble shooting before the snow flies thats why my new truck has a boss haha) but yes they are called Nite Sabers