1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 Ford Powerstroke - Salt Water Damaged By Sandy

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by TCLandscaping, Jan 7, 2013.

1. TCLandscaping

TCLandscaping Senior Member

I have a question. Recently came across a 1997 Ford F350 reg cab powerstroke with a 3 yr old Boss 8ft blade. The truck is in nice shape as well as the plow. Problem is they were both in the driveway when the canal and tide came up during hurricane sandy. Water made it all the way up to the bottom of the dash. Truck is an xl model so had rubberf loors, and crank windows, manual locks ect. Truck is dirt cheap, but I do not know why he didnt have it totaled and take insurance money. Was wondering if its even worth the effort to try and save? I know the things needed to be done before you even crank it ( has not been cranked). Any feedback would be appreciated. Also what if anything needs to be done to plow as it was completley submerged, can it be saved? Thanks.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Thats a tough one, how long was it under for??

3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Buy it for half of scrap value, about 500 bucks. Worst comes to worse part it out or scrap it. This is only if you like projects and are a good mechanic.
    I have a feeling weird things will always be creeping up

4. TCLandscaping

TCLandscaping Senior Member

does the same go for the plow? Id keep the plow or sell it if its not junk. Its in great shape, just not positive if draining the fluid and cleaning connections will be worth it. Im not positive its a few towns over, by me the water went down in less then a day but I do not know exactly. atleast 24hours. My close buddies are great mechaincs and have a shop, i am not desperate to throw money at it, figured if I could bring it to life cheap it might be worth it. I wouldnt pay more then a grand for truck and plow.

5. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You'd be plagued with seal and bearing issues along with electrical gremlins for years, along with an array of other issues........ I'd pass on it

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Pass on that one! The electrical gremlins alone will drive you crazy in the future.

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I agree not worth it pass. engine not pickled right away is probably junk. and electrical will drive you nuts.

9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Agreed. And these trucks rust out on their own just fine, I can't imagine what being immersed in that salt water is gonna do the the body and frame. Run away!!

10. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

too bad - those are great trucks.

but being this is the equipment picture thread, wheres the picture so we can better answer whether or not its worth buying?

11. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

good parts truck thats about it

12. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

What a wonderful episode.

13. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

for a grand or less I would seriously consider it, but not to drive. re-seal the plow and use it, as for the truck, part it. a complete OBS dana 60 can sell for around a grand any day... so one that is still complete and needs bearings and seals. 600 would be easy enough to get. You could easy make your money back and then some, plus get a free plow out of the deal.

14. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Grabbed this picture supposed to be 15000 cars&trucks from sandy.

30_1n004_cars1_C--525x300.jpg

15. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Estimated 250 K cars and trucks total. Where they towed all rest of em?

16. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Good for parts, thats it. Never touch a salt water flood. I have worked on plenty of fresh water floods and had very few issues but i would never touch a salt water flood.