1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 Ford F 250 front GVWR

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by coolgreen, Oct 25, 2006.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

I was looking at a 1997 F250 Heavy Duty for plowing, but the front GVWR is only 3,559 pounds. My 2000 F150 7700 has front GVWR of 4,150 pounds, and Ford recommends only a 700-pound plow, including the mount.

It's a nice truck, and in very good shape, but the front end seems a bit wimpy to plow with to me.

Any thoughts?
  2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

That's weird. Must be a gas engine, huh. Your talking obs truck right? My 96 powerstroke has a front GAWR of 4600 pounds. you could upgrade your springs to the correct spring code, and probably be fine. Best would be to put in a dana 60 solid axle though. The ttb sucks.
  3. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Is it the old body style or the new? The new body style is a light duty version. Don't ask why Ford did this. DUMB MOVE!! The old body style wich I have is rated at 4600lbs. Its a 97' I have to tell the parts stores that its a 96 or I never get the right parts. EVER.
  4. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

Nope. It's the old body style. The new body style in 1997 would have the higher 4,150 pound front end like my 2000 F150 7700.

Strange that the F250 light duty would have a tougher front end than the old body-style F250 Heavy Duty.
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My 94 heavy half ton had a higher rating then that. If I remember right it was around the high 3's (like 3800lbs for the front) and a little less for the rear. I know the gvwr was around the high 6's. Why not just put a 7.5 with wings on it and add some F-250 torsion bars, I know plenty of guys that have that set up.