1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 f350 460

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dirtysouth, Nov 3, 2006.

1. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Junior Member

i currently own an 86 f150 302 4x4 w/ a 7.5ft plow, well it died 3 months ago(motor wooped) and i am somewhat wanting to keep the plow for our 900ft driveway.well i came across a 97 f350 460 straight axle 100k, lockers, real nice shape original owner for 6 grand. i was wondering how hard would it be to take the plow off an 86 f150 and install it on the 97 350.i dont know much about plows other than how to take it on and off.would this be worth it or too much of a pain?any info is appreciated thanks in advance. also the 86 did not come with the plow the previous owner installed it on there.

2. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

You may be able to switch it right over. If not you will just have to get another undercarriage to match up to the new truck. Usually about 2-400$

3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I could be wrong, as I have been before, but I think the f350 is going to have a slightly wider frame than the f150. You will probably end up buying a new undercarriage, and wiring harness, depending on the lighting system of the new truck. (ie, drl's etc)

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah if all you have to do is put a new undercarraige on youre in good shape that 460 is a big engine but shes a hog

5. firelwn82

I think the frame may be close. I 'm not sure though. Just buy it. The 460 is a beast.

6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

will bolt right up

7. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

I put a MMI from an early '90's F-150 on to my '97 with nothing needed except pieces that were not removed from the previous truck, electrical things. It will bolt right up though, worst part is the shock mount. Chris

8. firelwn82

Was that an F-150 to a 150 or to the 350 that you have? It could make a diif.

9. UpstateDzlGuy

It was an early '90's F-150 to a 1997 F-350 Diesel. Chris

10. firelwn82

There is your answer bud. It will work. And the truck is a haus. You wont be disapointed.

11. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

lol I highly doubt he has a mm fisher on an 86 ford I dont even think i have seen brackets for one that old. I also doubt the under hood pump brackets are the same from a 302 to a 460 But just simply call a fisher dealer and ask them what is interchangable.

12. brad96z28

apples and oranges here.

13. UpstateDzlGuy

I missed that it was an older F-150, sorry. I know that my buddy has a hydraulic Fisher on his '97 F-350 PSD. I would say that a double check with some measurements will tell you if you can possibly. The draw back will be that modifications may be necessary as well as many parts as the electrical systems will be different. I would look for a plow that was meant for the '92 - '97 series. Chris

14. Frame

Dont forget the pre-'02 F-150 had a solid frame up front and after that had a crumple zone. Not sure if that 350 followed the same timeline, but you may have a crumple zone at the front of the frame that will neccesitate a new mount.

15. 351crules

351crules Member

80/97 frames are the same, except for a few holes and metal thickness between yrs and models

16. brad96z28

What about headlight wiring and underhood pump brackets????

17. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

my 84 f250 has a unimount that I installed back in 97.At the time the instuctions had a note that for the 80-86 you had to drill 2 extra holes in the frame but on the 87-97 no new holes were needed.The headlight wiring is different because of the different plugs and brakets for the pump are different because the older truck has v-belts and the newer one has serintine belt.

18. 351crules

351crules Member

what about it. wiring is different depending on model and different on what type of engine...

ps. why do you highly doubt someone could have a mm on an 86 truck.. i did..

19. brad96z28

Seeing how the original poster hasnt posted about this in over a week, I think no one really cares. when he doesnt even tell us what type of plow he has, I guess we could come up with all types of scenerios that would work. But without having the rite info in the first place making all kinds of gueses is lame.