1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 F250LD 5.4L Ext Cab Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by justwanttoplow, Dec 5, 2003.

1. justwanttoplow

justwanttoplow Junior Member

I have just purchased a 1997 F250LD 4X4 Ext Cab with a 5.4L I would like to install a plow but have been told that a plow package is required not even recommended. What is this? I can not find any information on this. What is everyone experience with this. I have been reading the threads and what I see is people adding leafs to the front end, this truck has a torsion bar suspension in the front what should I do I can add leafs?

2. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

It should hold a 7.5 fine. Install the plow of choice raise it up and see how much it sags. Crank the bars a few turns if needed and add Timbren's.

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

the truck will push a 7.5-8ft plow just fine. add timbrens to it

4. justwanttoplow

ordered up some timbren's, hopefully it will due the trick, really don't want to crawl under the truck and crank the torsion bars up. Any other suggestions or comments from anyone? Thanks Guys

5. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

heres mine she likes the wide open lots

im000190 (2).jpg

6. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

97 f250 4.6L 7.6 western ultra with timbrens front and rear.works great just look at the piles.

im000193 (2).jpg

7. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

justwanttoplow

where in CT are you from?? im in the new haven area

8. justwanttoplow

Nice Pis, Looks like she pushes well. The only difference is that I have the Ext Cab which is added weight to the same suspension you have in yours, therefore I would say the recommendations of timbrens is a must. Do you get anything out of the Rear Timbrens if you are only putting on a plow? Also I am from East Hampton CT.

9. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

i use the rears when this box is full and man when its full it feels like the truck is ready to snap.its full in this pic

im000182 (2).jpg

10. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

i know in 97 there was a problem hanging a plow on your truck.thats why meyer makes a plow just for that year truck.its a 7.6 606 lbs.i went with the western standard duty ultra mount and works just fine.that plow comes in 680 lbs i think.i would get timbrens and at least 450 lbs weight in the bed and you should be fine.

11. justwanttoplow

I am looking at the Fisher RD 7'6" weights in at 630# plus 60 for the mount thats 690lb of plow and mount. Still have about around 500lb more of cab too, but I think it will still be fine. As for the loaded box, that poor truck, and then a plow too, hows those repair bills :)

12. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

repair bills???

i had a crack in my gas fill line that had to be replaced last year around this time.other than that i change my oil every 3000 and thats it.the plows on it just for the pic people on here wanted to see what kind of plow i had

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I would stick with a 7.5 western or meyers

14. justwanttoplow

Ok now you have to make me ask why these brands over the Fisher. I did notice the wester has what looks to be a great tilting feature, what are the other pros and cons of all three? What about cost, due you know anything?

15. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

i would go with western fisher or meyers.i use to install plows at a ford dealership and we had no problems hanging a 7.6 fisher RD on your truck.i would go with timbrens and rear ballast.meyer and western are full trip plows which means if you hit something the whole mold board trips down.fisher has a trip edge which alot of guys seem to like more

16. justwanttoplow

Well I think I have decided on the Western, I like the pro plow which is just a few more pounds than the standard, but the dealer will not install it. I might be putting it on myself. Whats the deal when you do this? Will the dealer give you the wire loom and mount and let you pick up the blade latter? Anyone worked with Bart truck in east Hartford ct. Does this really take 8-10 hours to install like the western web site says? I worked in a body shop for 3 years I can knock of a bumper pretty quick.

Thanks