1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 f250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Perma Scapes, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Perma Scapes

Perma Scapes Junior Member

HI guys, just a quick opinion poll.

I just picked up a 1997 f25, crew cab, short box.
    diesel 4x4. (square body), Ive always wanted this style truck.

Im worried about all the excessive weight in the front of the truck with the diesel motor as they say its much heavier.

Its time now to dress her up with a plow & salter.

I have a 7.ft blizzard LT & an 8ft blizzard hd.

Needing to buy a new mount regardless of which one I choose, which
    plow would you guys think would be better for that truck ?

Im assuming the wiring harness should be universal for these blizzard, 1st generation plows, as I only have one harness.

Im plowing commercial parking lots 10 or so, & then have 7-8 houses.

Thanks for any advice & opinions.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Go with the 8'. Run plenty of ballast, about 700lbs should be good. You can mod the front to take the weight but the best money spent would be to put a Dana 60 solid front axle, essentially making the truck an F350. They are great plow trucks, change your filters often, keep her greased up, and lots of FLUID FILM to keep the rust away. Lets see some pics.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the short box pre 1998 truck are hard to come by in 3/4 or 1 ton configuration. there are plenty of F150's with the short box, but the larger trucks you rarely see. post some pics.

1997 was a transition year for the ford trucks. the F350 and heavy duty F250 were the old (square) body style and the F150 and light duty F250 were the new (rounded) body style.

you have a heavy duty F250 with the dana 50 TTB (twin traction beam) front axle. it is an independant front axle setup. not the most popular axle with off roaders or snowplowers. the housing tends to crack at spring perches and it tends to eat up tires due to uneven wear. that said, i plowed with one for years and never had any issue.

but like fordfisherman said, a dana 60 solid front axle swap would be the way to go. i've done a couple of the swaps and no regrets. find an axle from a 86-97 F350 and it will swap right in. get everything you can - axle, springs, driveshaft, tie rods, etc - just make sure the axle ratios match!!! if you find a donor truck, also get the rear spring blocks as they are taller in a F350 and swap them in too. when all is said is done, your truck will then be a F350.

not a project for a guy unfimiliar with turning a wrench, but certainly not a project i would consider to be too difficult. hardest part is finding the donor vehicle at a reasonable price.

4. Perma Scapes

Perma Scapes Junior Member

Id love to post some pictures but I dont see any options to do so here.

As a truck thats never been plowed in the past, is the front end work something I should be considering right away or something I could get away with for a season of work first ?

I do have to put a salter on it, so I think Ill be alright for ballast.
    Have a fisher poly that ill be swapping off an older chevy 2500 <<< wasnt too impressed with the chevy (1996)

I believe I do know someone who has an older 350 for sale, I'll take the advice into consideration and start prepping to beef this thing up.
    I thought timbrens would have been fine however.

In regards to the fluid film, Im assuming just go crazy and spray where ever I can. (in and out)
    Ive never used that stuff, but have heard much about it.

Thanks again for the tips, if theres anything else, keep'm coming.
    Ill figure out the pictures and get them posted asap.

I love this truck !!

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

You'll be fine for this season, probably a few seasons. The TTB axle is not the ideal set-up but it will work fine.

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

The TTB or Dana 44 I believe is a smoother riding axle compared to the Dana 60 (350 axle). I have both, the 250 I can take back roads, 350 I can not. But 350 rides MUCH better with the plow on.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I had the same truck but regular cab with add a leaf in the front end with a 7.5' western with wings and when I raised the plow the front end didn't move!

8. Wprobst27

Wprobst27 Junior Member

I'm running a 97 f250hd myself still ttb with plans to swap to a Dana 60. I have an add a leaf up front and heavier rear springs it's handled anything I throw at it but it rides like crap without the plow. An f350 actually has a softer spring rate then an f250 and I've had more people say they ride better. You'll love the power and reliability of a 7.3! I'd mount that 8ft without batting an eye.