1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 f-350

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by als06, Nov 6, 2014.

1. als06

als06 Junior Member
    from 18013

I've been looking for a 4th truck as a backup in case of downtime with the others. Came across a 1997 f350 4x4 dump with a 7.3 deisel and only 17000 miles. Has new rubber, new gas tank, and a 7 1/2 ft western thats as old as the truck. I ask the gentleman how its possible to have a 17 year old truck with only 17000 miles. It was owned by a golf course and I guess it never left. No rust on body only suface rust on frame. Dump floor banged up but no holes. I've never owned a deisel or bought used. Going back to take another look and test drive. 15900 seems high but this is no ordinary find. Your comments are appreciated.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Some good pictures would help and that mileage is possible if it stayed on a golf course.

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Nearly 16 grand? Dear god, don't forget its a 17 year old truck... Sitting around isn't the best for a truck, they like being driven.

4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

grab it . that there is a piece of Ford POWER wesport

5. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Would need to be pristine to command that kind of money. I would think 9 or 10,000 without the plow. But hey...I'm cheap.

6. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Yup I was to cheap. Punched it into Kelly bluebook and came back with all options and dually rear? and 17,000 miles, with the dumpbed and snowplow. It comes back high private party (excellent) at 13,568.00. Thats an xlt with power everything.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

$16k is high, in '08 I picked up a '97 F-350, SRW, 460ci, 5spd stick, XL, AC, Knapaheide Utility bed, 8.5 Meyer Poly, no rust, no body damage, all service records from date of purchase with 29k on it for $7k.
    Without seeing the truck you're looking at I think $11,500.00 would be a fair price.

8. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

To me that is a 12k truck... But used diesels are going crazy these days. Kbb is no where near what they are selling for. This summer I bought and sold a VERY clean, 80k mile 96 Cummins. I sold that truck for 19,000.

9. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Make an offer and bring the cash with you. Start low. You never know.

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

What do the oil pan, oil cooler, and exhaust manifolds look like? Rear diff cover? Oil in the intake valley?

Those things dictate if it is worth 17k or 10k. Because it will be a 6k job at the IH dealership to have them replaced. Always use the IH dealer to do the work on the 7.3....Ford techs today have no idea about the "old" 7.3...but the IH guys do.

11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

it's a great truck - no question about that. but for 16G it needs to be showroom condition. really need to see pics. and a 7.5 foot plow? way too small. you say its a dump, but is it single rear wheels or dual rear wheels? if a dually, then 8.5 foot plow minimum, a 9 footer is best. if single rear wheel 8 or 8.5 foot.

12. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Hope its a gem with 17k on the clock.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

14. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Too bad thats not a 4x4. ^ I would have bought it.

15. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

That's like comparing apples and dump trucks. A 460 doesn't bring close to the money that the legendary 7.3 does. If the body was mint on that thing and it looked like a throwback from like 1999 I would pay 16 for it.

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I took into consideration the 7.3PS and Dump Bed upcharge. In '96 the upcharge for a 7.3PS was around $5K.

17. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

yes but the resale value is what really matters when you are talking about a 17 year old truck. The upcharge is irrelevant. a 460 may as well be a boat anchor. Everyone loves the 7.3

18. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Not really

It just shows how stupid people are

19. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

ok, my bad....the 460 is the engine everyone wants.

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

A 7.3 does increase resale value but it doesn't mean the increase resale value equals the upcharge when new.

A 460 is no where close to being what the 7.3 is, I never said that nor is it a boat anchor. It is a good motor, just a little thirsty though.