1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 F-250 7.3psd

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowman79, Dec 2, 2007.

1. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

This truck is for sale near me and i was wondering what you guys thought about it, how well it would plow, anything bad with this model year, engine, ect. Im not positive on the miles yet, haven't called the guy, but its in good condition, no rust on body, little surface rust here and there on the frame, it has a western plow, standard cab, long bed, auto tranny, new tires, and shocks. How much would you guys pay for it..im guessing mileage would be around 80,000 miles or above.

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

In my area I think it's worth 7-8 grand in great shape. I bet it has more miles than 80k though.

3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

thats a great year and you'll love a deisel for plowing have an oasis report done so know the history of the truck . see if can get any record off the guy so can have an idea what has been service of the years

4. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

i have heard that they are kind of slow...the older psd that is, i dont believe it but ive never had the chance to ride or drive one that old. Im going to call the guy where as the company isn't open till tomorrow morning. What kind of gas mileage could i expect witht he plow off.?

5. mike psd

from pa

your thinking of the old old now powerstoke 7.3 idi yes they weren't turbo so they lugged along but they are soild truck there still on the road today as for 95 or newer was the powerstroke turbocharged there nice your going to be looking about 15- 19 in town maybe 20's highway mpg there abouts towing 10-12 mpg

6. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

any problem areas that are known on these trucks....that i should be looking at. The only thing thats bad about the truck is the color, and the box topper.... Also i think its got the new style plow where all the mount/lights/blade come off....just like the new western mounts where u just drive up and hook up

7. mike psd

from pa

oil pans are costly repairs there know too rusting out . on diesel esp. powerstrokes your going to want too see if coolant flushed out and changed on maintenance. make sure the hubs are free and not froze your going too wanna check and make sure the trans is good shape too smell the fuild for a brunt or sweet smell . i would highly suggest getting an oasis report done so know what the histroy of the truck is .

8. lieutlamson

lieutlamson Member

The only problem I can think of on a 1997 F250 is the front end. Unlike the 350, the 250 doesnt have the solid front axle. I think they like to eat up front end parts esp. with the diesel.

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the 1997 PSD is one of the best!!!!! i have a f350 crew cab that i bought new in 96 and the only thing i have had a problem with is...........2 new batteries last year and a ball joints once. IMO the 1997 F350 PSD is one of the best light duty trucks ever made.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it's a Power Stroke it is a Turbo Diesel. A 97 is no doubt a PSD. Being an old plow truck you have to look at all the issues of old trucks. Leaks, rust outs, frame, body and see if a maintenance record is available. When they are selling an old plow truck it may have many issues that have not been addressed. My Dad aways said to never buy an old plow truck! That's why my truck is called "The Big Red Drain" it took a bunch of parts and repairs to get it ready to plow.