1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 Dodge Ram 2500.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Snaaar, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

We are in position to buy this truck, w/ 62K miles. 4X4 regular cab long bed, auto trans, 360 magnum engine. We look to put a new Blizzard 810 on it. The truck drives like new, is very clean. But when it is in 4-wheel drive, and I shift from drive to reverse while stationary, there is a dull thunk from the transfer case. Is this normal?

Will the truck need any special mods before the plow goes on?

I did notice metal brake lines at front wheels are rusty. The engine has no leaks. Tires are great. I am allowed to have my mechanic look over it and the seller agrees to pay for all necessary repairs. I will instruct the mechanic to recommend replacement of even the slightest worn part, such as brake lines with a little surface scale reust, any slightly leaking seal or loose joint, etc. Do you think $8000 is a good deal considering the agreement?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The clunk could be from a couple of things.
    1. A worn U-joint./ drive shaft
    2. The long boxs have a two piece drive shaft. With a career bearing, It does make a sound when going from D to R it's more of a crinkle sound than a thud.

Have your mechanic look it over.
    Have him take a look at the tranny too, not to say there is a problem but you know..

Plow-prep/group?

Timbrens are always a good idea.

The front coil springs are easily up graded if need be.