1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1997 Chevy 6500 - Air Break tank hole

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by MatthewG, Oct 27, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Drove a total of 3.5 hours round trip today to buy this truck.

97 6500
    50K Miles
    10 Monroe plow
    Big Monroe SS V Box
    3116 cat motor
    Air Brakes
    FIRM at $7500

Couldn't drive it home since the rear air tank had a hole in it and it wasn't inspected, he said he would take 7K as is.

Am I wasting my time?

Should I tell him I will pay $7500 if he puts on a new tank on and inspects it (which it ran out 2 years ago)

Should I tell him I will take it as is for $6500???

Thoughts

photo(2).jpg

photo(5).jpg

2. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

that truck is a pile of shet unless your plowing highways.

I wouldnt even buy that if you are just going to use it as a salt truck.

Just that cover for the battery box is about 100 bucks. You know parts are getting hard as heck to find for them right?

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Looks like the third 50,000 miles it's going on! That truck will be nothing but a money pit. Find something better.

4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Don't know about plowing with it but roads but a salt only truck - if the spreader and hydraulics work that's a pile of coin right there.

Air tank can't be that bad to replace, maybe offer xxxx amount pending an inspection.

5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

So how many years since its been on the road? You can drop a pile of coin just in a brake job on an old truck not to mention what else could be wrong.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Battery box's are the first thing to rust out, then air tanks, then fuel tanks. Not sure what the cab looks like. The salt is probably worth close to 3k and the blade 1k. so your gettng the truck for 3500 if he fixes the air tank and safeties it you might have a half decent deal. This is with out me seeing it up close though. Trucks like that can be a real money pit but can also do a lot of work. In reality it will plow less snow in a night then a pickup if plowing in a commercial setting.

7. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

I wouldnt let the seller handle the inspection. Maybe I'm paranoid but I would want it to got to someone I trust, not an unknown that may just slap a sticker on it and call it inspected.

8. MatthewG

The truck was not that bad, the rusted piece you see is actually the air heater box. Some black paint on the wheels and red dump bed and it wouldn't be too bad.

I have a 38 acre contract, I need the truck for salting, the plow is just for backup, I have wheel loaders backhoes and skid steers for plowing

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think it would be a great salter truck for you. I was gonna say the battery box on mine is on the passenger side, but wasn't sure if it varied for some reason.

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

38 acres is a lot of salting...what else will be helping this truck cover that much area? And how much salt will that vbox hold?

IMO, for a little more money you could find a much nicer truck that dosent have a salter or plow on it....then find/buy an undertailgate for it.

fwiw, (& just a guess here) but I would think your losing 3 - 4ton of carrying capacity/room with the vbox in the bed???

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

12. MatthewG

My first choice is a tailgate spreader as well, I have not had any luck unless I go over my budget

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

So what is your take on the link I posted above?

14. MatthewG

Nice actually, I already emailed the seller, I was trying to keep it under 26,000 for non CDL drivers, but whatever

I have another truck with Vbox to help the bigger truck with salting

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Cool.

Something tells me the truck in the OP would be over 26K once it was fully loaded with salt anyway?...and especially if it had the plow on also...